Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog/cat raw food!

Default Dog/cat raw food!

I'm very curious as to what you guys think about the raw diet that is geared towards dogs or cats. If you look at the ingredient panel, you may consider actually trying it. I think it's great because they sneak in some fruits and vegetables for those people who have a hard time getting their tegu to eat anything but meat.

It is raw meat but I do hear that you guys sometimes feed raw ground turkey? This raw food would have the extra nutrients that you cannot find in grocery stores, so you wouldn't need to supplement it much.

I know a lot about raw diet so if you have any questions about it or think my idea is insane, let me know!

Many of the raw diets sound like a good idea, as long there is not large pieces of thick bone.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Default Re: Dog/cat raw food!

I take whole chicken thighs and chop them up with a meat cleaver and they love them & it will have some big bone chunks in them, but I would do anything with chunks of beef bone (they are a lot more dence)

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using TapaTalk
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

In the raw diet patties like stella and chewy's the bone is ground up. I have wondered about this option but I do not know if everything else that is mixed up in them is OK for a tegu.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.01 CBB northern blue tongue skink lucy
    0.0.1 blue spot timor monitor evie
    0.1 b&w & red hybrid loo loo
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

If you like, you could always post an ingredient list and solicit opinions.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

A lot of the newer popular dog/cat foods are made with simple ingredients anyone can understand instead of something like 'avian byproduct' (which by the way can mean roadkill legally, not saying all companies do, only that they can), but using things like chicken, turkey, ect. We all try to feed our tegus the proper balanced diets, and some of the foods in other pre-mixed foods may seem like a good idea, but it's important to know what you're feeding your tegu. Surprises can be very dangerous when dealing with digestion problems.
    Money is NOT the root of all evil, LOVE OF MONEY is. Far too many people get that mixed up.

1.1.0 Blue Tegu - Jabba, Jasmine

Just make sure to read the ingredient panels and look up what they all specifically mean. Like just 'chicken' means chicken muscle meat.

Here is the panel for Nature's Variety: Instinct Raw Chicken

Ingredients
    Chicken, Raw Ground Chicken Bone, Turkey, Turkey Liver, Turkey Heart, Apples, Carrots, Butternut Squash, Ground Flaxseeds, Montmorillonite Clay, Chicken Eggs, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Dried Kelp, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Salmon Oil, Olive Oil, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Persimmons, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Inulin, Rosemary, Sage, Clove.

I really think this food is fabulous

I feed a product cld Hissy Fit from Feed This, Inc. It has grd chicken w/ bone, sardines, chicken heart & liver, sweet potato, egg, kelp, alfalfa, and water. My tegu like it a lot. They make grd turkey based, grd rabbit based-all natural and not too many ingrediants, which I like, cuz then I can add fruit or more if I want.

I feed my dogs, ferrets and cats (when they're not being picky) raw food. I feed a "prey model" type diet. They're fed different foods almost every day and the food items can be anything from chicken backs to pork necks.

I've fed them:
    • Goat tongue, kidney, liver
    • Pork feet, tail, hock, neck, spleen, liver, kidney, heart
    • Beef heart, kidney, liver, meat
    • Turkey necks, backs, wings, legs, hearts, gizzard
    • Chicken carcasses, necks, feet, hearts, gizzards, liver, wings
    • Lamb chops (freezer burnt)
    • Frozen rats
    • Raw eggs
    • Salmon heads and whole mackerel
    • Quail

They're also fed high quality dog/ferret/cat food (usually grain free) and Nature's Variety raw patties.

My dogs are eating Evo (innova) for dry food. We have some canned food I've thought about trying with the tegus. The tegus have eaten some of the dog treats before. Everything we buy is "higher quality". I don't think dog/cat food should be a staple but I don't think it would hurt. Just check all the ingredients to make sure there isn't anything in it that tegus shouldn't have.