Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog/cat raw food!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wise Owl View Post
    I feed my dogs, ferrets and cats (when they're not being picky) raw food. I feed a "prey model" type diet. They're fed different foods almost every day and the food items can be anything from chicken backs to pork necks.

I've fed them:
    • Goat tongue, kidney, liver
    • Pork feet, tail, hock, neck, spleen, liver, kidney, heart
    • Beef heart, kidney, liver, meat
    • Turkey necks, backs, wings, legs, hearts, gizzard
    • Chicken carcasses, necks, feet, hearts, gizzards, liver, wings
    • Lamb chops (freezer burnt)
    • Frozen rats
    • Raw eggs
    • Salmon heads and whole mackerel
    • Quail

They're also fed high quality dog/ferret/cat food (usually grain free) and Nature's Variety raw patties.

Apparently I have two accounts. lol AND APPARENTLY I didn't read the original post correctly. Sorry, it was early for me. lol

I've fed Nature's Variety raw patties to my red tegu (when she'll eat) with no issues. I usually offer her the chicken or venison formula. It's 95% raw meat, bones and organs with 5% fruits and vegetables. These are the ingredients: Chicken, Raw Ground Chicken Bone, Turkey, Turkey Liver, Turkey Heart, Apples, Carrots, Butternut Squash, Ground Flaxseeds, Montmorillonite Clay, Chicken Eggs, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Dried Kelp, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Salmon Oil, Olive Oil, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Persimmons, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Inulin, Rosemary, Sage, Clove.

I think it's a great addition to a varied diet.

Ha! So you are Little Wise Owl and LittleWiseOwl? At least it's not too far off. Just stick with godzilla one we know and love. And again, I agree with raw cat/dog food being a good addition to a varied diet.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I'm sorry to be off-topic again but I'm not quite sure why I have two accounts. I signed in as "Little Wise Owl" because I thought that was my name but it turned out to be a brand new account... Which I don't remember ever creating. lol I plan on sticking to my original Godzilla-fied account though.

ON TOPIC: I've also fed whole ground animal carcasses (meat, bones and organs) to my red. She didn't eat much at all but I plan to offer it again when she does start eating. I typically find these grinds in patty form at my local pet store. They're made for cats/dogs/ferrets.

I looked at the cat cans of Evo and it had cottage cheese in it... I don't really think cans in general are really high enough quality no matter what the brand is. Maybe it'd be worth trying the dehydrated foods like Honest Kitchen and Sojo's

I was looking for some natural dog food that was pretty "clean" of preventives and fillers and found "Nature's Variety Instinct grain-free Nutrition Chicken Formula Raw Frozen Diet." that's a mouth full but its 95% chicken, turkey, organs, and bone and 5% veggies, fruits, and other whole foods. You can find it in the freezer at a pet store if they carry it. I got mine at a non-chain pet supply store. They might have it at Petco or another big name pet store but I haven't looked yet. They come in a little half-dollar sized cubes. I love the fact that there is grown bone in it.
    One Male Ferret Chaplin
    Two Male Boer Goats Edward and Henry
    One Male Pygmy Goat Nicolas
    One Male Argentine B&W Tegu Lucien

RIP ferret: Loki

Smile

When you look at what a Tegu would eat in the wild, it includes anything that they can find, over power and swallow. They are opportunistic feeders. They get their greens, fruit, veggies in the entrails of thier vertabrate prey and are pretty much like all carnivores who really are omnivores because they ingest must have the stomache and intestinal contents of what ever it is that they eat.

If you you look at raw foods, cat food etc., you find pretty much a balance assortment of ingredients simular to the contents of small vertarates and insects. Some of the ones mentioned here are IMHO great foods to feed a Tegu if they will eat them. With my baby boy/girl it is a big IF that I am going to try out tomorrow.
    Dana

Tegus also eat fruits apart from intestinal matter of their prey, which does set them apart from obligate carnivores. Dogs also eat plant matter aside from whole prey, but cats are obligate carnivores in the wild. Something to consider when looking at pet diets.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets