Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grass and other plants

Default Grass and other plants

Hi guys

I was wondering if some of you are using living plants or grasses in your enclosures... I know that the Tegus will dig around and probably crash some of the plants, but that's okay.

I'm thinking of stuff like: Pampas Grass, Phormium plants, other harsh grass types maybe. Let me know what your experience are with this. I'm against plastic plants in my cages, so you don't have to suggest that

This is my cage as it is now

Jimmi

Well, I can only share my experience, and I dont know how other people's tegus react to plants, but mine always digs the plant up regardless of the type.
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

Yeah, ours had pretty much tried to destroy anything. If you're okay with having to replace plants every couple days/weeks, then I say go for it. I've seen some BEAUTIFUL enclosures that had real plants in them. Just make sure that they're not toxic to reptiles, and that they can live in the humid environment.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

Yeah, i think i will try with some grass at the beginning. Maybe dwarf pampas grass. If they destroy it, it will probably be fun to watch.

When they start digging, things really happen.

Jimmi

As you experiment, you might want to do some research, just in case:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1913&aid=1612

There are other lists online. Some are nuanced or contradict others -- you have to evaluate the sources, too. Assume that your tegu will try to eat anything, as a worst-case scenario. Some plants may not poison the lizard but could have substances that irritate the skin when they rub themselves on it.

Quote Originally Posted by HernandosMom View Post
    As you experiment, you might want to do some research, just in case:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1913&aid=1612

There are other lists online. Some are nuanced or contradict others -- you have to evaluate the sources, too. Assume that your tegu will try to eat anything, as a worst-case scenario. Some plants may not poison the lizard but could have substances that irritate the skin when they rub themselves on it.
    Thank you very much! I've been looking for something like that. Better safe than sorry

i had a few plants in my enclosure once..my gu torn them apart. it does look damn good though, i wanna try it again. J.Skov sweet cage, wat size, material? love the logs too

Thank you...! The size is 10*4*4 feet. The logs are from my own backyard, and i have actually added some more since the picture was taken. The enclosure is made out of plywood or chipboard (i don't know the english word) it is sealed with lacquer, that are used to ships. So it should be water resistant.

Plywood and chipboard is what most everyone over here uses to build their enclosures as well. There's also a GREAT sealing product over here called Drylock. It's AMAZING stuff!! Seals everything.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

I'll try to see if i can find that stuff in Denmark. Or else i can bring it back here myself, i hope to be visiting US some time next year.