Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who here agrees Swamp Wars on Animal Planet gives Tegus a bad name?

Default Who here agrees Swamp Wars on Animal Planet gives Tegus a bad name?

They need to explain that those "bad Tegus" were neglected by "bad owners", just like there can be bad Dogs treated wrong by their "bad owners." I think Argentine Tegus make great pets and Animal planet needs to back off, making our pets look bad.
    Please treat reptiles as if they were your favorite dog or cat; do not give up on them!

Agreed! I always have friends coming up to me saying how "awful and aggressive" the tegus are made out to be on that show. They all know better though, cause Dio is an angel.
    1.0.0 B&W Argentine Tegu (Dio)
    1.1.0 Crested geckos (re homed)
    0.1.0 Tartar Sand Boa(re homed)
    0.1.0 Axolotl (Smaug)
    1.0.0 Tabby Cat (Dippy)
    Madagascar Hissing roaches

Animal Planet has really gone down the tubes.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Quote Originally Posted by laurarfl View Post
    Animal Planet has really gone down the tubes.
    yes they have, ive seen some really dumb shows on there recently..........dont know if it was animal planet,discovery or nat geo..but theres that one loggin show. i mean really?! ur gonna air the complete distruction of a forest, and then air a show about how certain animals are dissapearing cuz of human! i wanna write them an email of something...big dummys

.as far as the swap war guys callin tegus aggresive, i dont think its all that bad. Honestly i'd rather they said that, then tell the whole world,which we know is filled of a lot of idiots, how great tegus really are. i mean look at wat disney did to dalmations....people see it on tv, think ,"hey they said tegus are dog tame....then go and buy a gu on impulse. and im sure wont properly care for them,ya know? but hey there are good and ummm naughty tegus out there, just like us humans

id have to admit.. Purple monster kinda has a point... at lease we all know how great they are
    0.2.0 Ball Pythons, Kacey, Kahlua,
    0.1.0 Black and White Tegu, Shredder
    1.0.0 Extreme Giant Tegu, Dino

This is SO funny! Just the other day, I told my coworker that we got a baby tegu and he went, I'm not even kidding, "OMG I saw those on Swamp Wars! Those things are MEAN!!!"

I was appalled. I try so hard to communicate to people that Tegus are one of the best, if not the best large lizard you can own. I told him I had never watched the show, but I'm assuming those ones are either wild or severely aggravated. I told him a well cared for and handled tegu can become dog tame, eating out of your hand and responding to its name even. I told him how Helix used to sleep in my bed and was potty trained. I told him about a rescue I knew of were abused tegus became ambassadors for reptile shows at schools and other education programs, and how I knew a family who rescued an abused tegu who now loves their children, cuddles with them and follows them around the house. He seemed convinced but it still peeved me.

Keep in mind, I don't watch the show and have no idea what its about.
    Our family...
    0.1.0 Beardie, Athena
    0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu, Rorschach
    0.0.1 Eastern Collared Lizard, "Youngster"
    1.1.0 Ball Pythons, Fantine and D'Artagnon
    1.1.0 Hogg Island Boas, Finnley and Shazira
    1.0.0 Nicaraguan Boa, Gio
    1.2.0 Rosy Boas, Lucy, Estelle, Evander
    0.1.0 RTB, Ninja
    0.0.1 Red Eyed Green Tree Frog
    0.2.0 Doggies Belatrix and Saedi
    + a bunch of day care kids
    + one boyfriend
    And 0.1.0 baby on the way

Rest In Peace Helix

My real complaint is that the politicians use that sort of info when it comes time to ban them. I'm expecting them to show up on the conditional species list here in FL in the next few years.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Not only THAT show, but AP in general has time and time again made a bad name for many animals - aside from cats and dogs of course. Most reptiles are shown and viewed in a negative light on the entire program - They went from conversationalist shows to programs that do not publicly dispute the extermination of certain animals that are viewed negatively in the public light, almost a complete 180.

I agree that Animal Planet, as well as several other channels, have gone overboard on sensationalizing slaughter of animals. Admittedly, I haven't seen the show in particular, but I've seen several others such as Hoggers, Swamp People, etc, in which the killing of animals is glorified. I don't personally care whether we're talking about introduced pigs or predatory alligators. Killing NEVER needs glorification.

Unfortunately, there are always at least 2 sides to any story. The fact of matter of which I pretty much always see tegu owners overlook is TEGUS ARE NOT PUPPY DOGS IN THE WILD. Tegus ARE aggressive, nasty and viscious in their natural habitat. Just because they habituate to us quite readily in captivity does not change the fact that in nature they are mean predators. The idea that tegus are always docile and friendly is a fantasy.

I agree with you, but wouldn't a tegu tend to run instead of launching a defensive attack? Once cornered, the aggressio shows. Of course, nesting females are excluded, since they seem to bring their wrath upon anything that threatens their eggs.

There was a local newspaper article about introducing youth to the outdoors via FWC alligator hunts. They teach the kids to use snatch hooks, harpoons, and bang sticks. YAY!!!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets