Thread: House breaking tricks, anyone?

Default House breaking tricks, anyone?

Hello all, I have a small problem...her name is Lily lol.

She is roughly 3 yrs old, we rescued her from a shelter less than a year ago - they advised us that she was kept as an outdoor dog, and we never properly housebroken.
    I said, "No problem," and adopted her anyway.

....I am beginning to regret those words, they seemed to have jinxed me!
    She absolutely refuses to go potty outside while on the leash! I have tried timing her usual "go" time, I have kept a close eye on her for (what my mother calls) the "high sign," and I've even used baby suppositories to encourage her to go outside. Sure, everything works for awhile, but then she has more and more accidents in the apartment! And we have carpeting, and NO rug shampooer - I try to clean whenever I can, but I often can't tell there has been an accident until I either A) Step in it or B) it dries and makes the whole place smell.

I've owned several dogs in my life, even breeding and rearing a litter of west highland terriers without any major potty-training issues. Lily is an enigma to me, and its starting to get on my last nerve.
    Does anyone out there have any suggestions or pointers? I'm considering buying a crate for her when my next pay-day comes around (a lot of people suggest crating).

Aww, what a face!

My Australian shep can be a monster sometimes when it comes to potty training as well. For the most part she stays in the kitchen where it's linoleum, and I keep XL puppy pads down so I don't have too much trouble having her in an apartment. She gets out a lot though so she doesn't mind it.

I walk my monsters three to four times a day, and unless I go to the "park" (a fenced-in area, maybe 12'x24' in size) she won't do a damn thing.
    Heaven forbid it rains - Both she and my other dog, Zoey, won't do a thing! Since they are both part shiba inu, their behaviors are very cat-like and they like to remain clean. Its adorable, but very inconvenient (I live in Savannah, GA and this summer is proving to be a very moist one lol).

Best idea I can come up with is to buy one of those outside pad things that make it seem like the outdoors is in your apartment.
    Money is NOT the root of all evil, LOVE OF MONEY is. Far too many people get that mixed up.

1.1.0 Blue Tegu - Jabba, Jasmine

It may sound weird, but I recommend crate training. Dogs are naturally fairly clean animals (like most mammals). So for the most part, they really don't enjoy going to the bathroom in a crate. Feed her in the morning and then take her out. If she goes (which she probably won't), come back home and immediately put her in the crate. Give her a good bit of time and try again. When she finally goes to the bathroom outside, let her stay out of the crate indoors and provide a treat. This can be hard to do if someone isn't home regularly. It may sound cruel but I can assure you it isn't. I did this trick with my dog and she now LOVES her crate, and it also took her only about 2 weeks to get completely consistent (she peed on my bed the very first night right in between my legs). Also try different areas. Submissive dogs won't go where there is a lot of scent, and dominant dogs want to mark their territory in busy places. Get a feel for it and good luck

Also if she does go to the bathroom in the crate (which she will hold it as long as I can as most dogs do) obviously clean it and don't stop trying. If she just walks in the crate and pees then she is just one of those weird bad dogs, but if she walks in holds it and pees then you just have to figure out timing with her.