Thread: Baby Tegu's and F/T Mice

Default Baby Tegu's and F/T Mice

Hello everyone!

I just recently got a baby Argentine B/W tegu from a reptile expo. It is about three weeks old now and I feed it crickets, mealworms, and boiled eggs.

I read somewhere on the forum and online that baby tegu's should only be fed meat until they get older then they can be fed fruits.

My question is:
    1. Could I feed my baby tegu fruits and veggies? If so, what kind.
    2. When can I start feeding it F/T mice? I feel as if its diet is quite boring with just worms, crickets, and eggs.

Thank you in advance!

~ Frances

Well first off, welcome to the forum!

And secondly, I'm glad you're asking for dietary help right away. You can start feeding your hatchling F/T pinkies immediately. Just make sure that they're appropriately-sized. When we first had ours, I was worried about them be able to swallow them down, so I thawed them and chopped them in half. Tegus grow so fast though, that I only did this for a week or two. And you can try to feed fruits and veggies right away as well. Here's a list of some things that you can feed to your little one:

F/T rodents, lean ground turkey, chicken gizzards and hearts, chicken necks (chopped up to an appropriate size), chicken and beef liver, salmon, tilapia, fresh shrimp, superworms/mealworms/hornworms/silkworms (though as the tegu grows bigger, these things will become more like a tasty snack), dubia roaches, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, mango, papaya, grapes and banana (used as only a treat though; too much can be harmful), kale, mustard greens, dandelion greens, eggs (scrambled or soft/hard boiled, as a treat)... there's a LOT that you can feed to them to vary their diet.

What I had done, is made little "turkey balls". I'd mix up a bunch of ground turkey with different kinds of meats and fruits, put them in little single-serving Zip Lock freezer bags, and then put them in the freezer. I'd take out a new one every day or so, thaw it, add the supplements, and then feed them.

Speaking of supplements, make sure that you're adding the appropriate amounts of calcium powder to every meal that doesn't have bones in it. I used the calcium WITH vitamin D3 once a week, and then the calcium WITHOUT vitamin D3 on the other days. Adding a good multivitamin once or twice a week is a good idea too. When I fed scrambled eggs every other week, I'd add a few drops of cod liver oil to it; it helps with healthy shedding.

Hope this helped!
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

Thank you so much for all of the information! I was wondering though, do any of the meats have to be cooked or could they just be raw? Thanks again!

Nope, you don't need to cook any of the meats; they should be fed raw. Oh, and as another little tid bit of info, don't use the microwave to thaw any food... the inside can get too hot, and besides, the microwave waves actually destroy the nutrients of the foods you put in there. Putting it in a Ziplock baggie and then thawing it in warm water until it's warm all the way through works great.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP