Thread: it finally happened

Default it finally happened

I finally got bit by one of my tegus, it was completely my fault of course, i wasn't paying attention to her when i was getting their food ready. Thankfully she doesn't have all of her teeth (previous owners aka: petco, probably let her chew on hard stuff) so the damage wasn't too bad. Ive heard people say that you have to go to the doctor if you get bit by any monitors or large reptiles cause of bacteria in their spit. Do I really have to?

I've never gone to the doctor for a reptile bite (knowck on wood). There's nothing they can do and a good doc wouldn't prescribe antibiotics without an obvious infection being present. I'm assuming you don't have any underlying health conditions. Keep it really clean and apply Neosporin. Let air get to it. If it shows signs of infection, seek medical attention. That would be increased redness, swelling, red streaks moving up the arm/hand, increased pain, off things that show up in a few days.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Do their teeth grow back? She's missing quite a few :(

That I can't tell you. Sorry.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Bite her back, it will show her who's boss Reptiles are constantly replacing teeth. Mammals typically have 2 sets of teeth, but the vast majority of reptiles grow teeth nearly constantly. However, once they reach adult size their systems tell them to slow down production and it can take a while before they do grow back. It also depends on if the tooth came out fairly naturally or was knocked out by trauma. Damage to the root could prevent the tooth from growing back properly.

yeah i've no idea how she lost her teeth, she came that way when i rescued them :(
    You know you are a reptile owner when you can use tissue and duct tape to bandage a bite while you are working with your scaly critters

I had one friend (a reptile vet) tell me that tegus do regrow teeth.... but, I had another reptile vet friend tell me that they don't. Based on what I've seen, I tend to believe that they do not grow back their teeth... but I honestly do not know for sure. My oldest red came to me missing many of his teeth - it has been 15 months (June 2010) and it doesn't look like he has grown any back.

I was bit by my burm...wich was my fault..totally. But It wasnt too bad and I washed it with soap and I was fine.
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)

I'm glad to hear that the damage wasn't to bad. I got bit allot before ( by different reptiles not just our Tegus ) and never went to the doctor. As long as you wash your hands right away and put some neosporin on it and a bandage for at least the first day you should be fine . Yes, Tegus to teeth and regrow them. I saved some teeth from some of our Tegus . I'm going to try to post a photo of them soon. I have noticed that our Leonidas looses his teeth after the hibernation season and then regrows them. The first time I saw him loos his teeth I freaked out and took him to the vet. He is a great vet but he has never seen this before. He was glad to hear that they grew back.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl