Thread: biting

Default biting

My male BW tegu is having major problems with the shedding of his tail so ive got it covered in neosporin and vaseline to help keep it dirt free and such. Well my female BW is having a minor similar problem on her thighs so i', treating it with the same stuff. My male has decided to bite her, in her back legs and tail :( i have them separated right now, what do i do? He also tried when i was soaking them in the bathtub
    You know you are a reptile owner when you can use tissue and duct tape to bandage a bite while you are working with your scaly critters

First, take a look at your humidity situation. I know tails are the toughest (Hernando has a chronic problem there), but inadequate humidity is usually the root cause. Our vet has said that vitamin C and beta carotene (from non-citrus orange colored fruits) are also necessary for healthy sheds in tegus; not just as a supplement during a shed, but in the diet always.

For gooping, I would replace what you're using with KY Jelly. CVS has a cheap house brand of the same thing. Unlike vasoline, it is water based and non-toxic if ingested. It only really works if you've been able to soften the dead skin somewhat with extra humidity and a warm bath. Rub it in right after bath time to hold in the moisture absorbed in the skin. Our vet said that vasoline will only coat the top of the skin and not penetrate. You might want to cautiously pick at the tail here and there for signs of a loose scale. Be really careful not to force any off.

okay, yeah i live in practically the desert so its been insanely hard to do anything with the humidity :( using a fogger and such just destroyed the bedding making it all soaked and disgusting which i think part of the problem with them, but using neosporine is okay?
    You know you are a reptile owner when you can use tissue and duct tape to bandage a bite while you are working with your scaly critters

Sounds like a stressful situation... I've seen similar behavior in lizards housed together that have turned out to be two males.
    Any chance you might have two boys? How old are your tegus?

Neosporin is perfectly good to use - just make sure it doesn't have any pain killer stuff in it.

i had both checked and its a boy and girl, theyre both over a year old

Biting the legs and tail is a courting behavior in tegus, males biting the females. It is also a territorial move, with the agressor chasing away the unwanted tegu. At any rate, it sounds as if you may need separate enclosures.

The humidity needs to be addressed. I know it is hard. At least provide a humid hide: damp sphagnum moss on the floor of a hide can increase the humidity.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

okay i'll have to build good boxes for them. Wouldnt they posture if if they were having a territorial issue?

Not necessarily. Sometimes they do, sometimes it is a quick nip. Sometimes it is an issue over food, basking spot, etc and a quick jab or persistent nips to move another away. So the tegu is not looking for a big fight, but "get away". At least that is what I have seen in my little colony and limited experience.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

ah, okay lol time for new cages XD

Laura put it very well. If it is mating season the male will also try to bite the female on the neck to hold her down. My female All American Tegu had some very bad shedding problems this year when she came out of hibernation. It was so bad that she had some rings around her tail that was cutting into her flesh ( it was dry and not bleeding ). I thought she was going to loose a part of her tail. I got a big bin. Put some moist towels in there and a heating pad for humans that was set on low ( to keep it warm and humid ).

Short story. In the winter time my hands crack open because they are very dry ( and I wash my hands allot so that doesn't help ). I used some different lotions and they kind of burn my hands. So one day ( a few years back ) I thought to my self. Well, when my lips are cracked I use the cherry flavor ( the other kinds burn me ) chap stick and it heals my lips almost over night. So I start putting it on my hands. It works wonders. So I thought if this helps my dry lips and hands then it maybe could work on Venus tail, too. I called up my vet and talked to him about it. He sad that it's not toxic and it would be OK to put it on her tail. I can't believe how well it worked on her tail. It healed up so nicely that she is shedding well now and she didn't loose any of her tail. I used the vaseline before but I didn't like it to much. Sorry for making is so long.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl