Thread: Question about enclosure for a tegu that free roams 60-80% of the time he is awake

Default Question about enclosure for a tegu that free roams 60-80% of the time he is awake

Ok so I bought a tegu about 3 weeks ago that was a free roamer. Great, I love the concept. However, the idea is a little less practical I find, as my roommates aren't as fond as my 3 1/2' baby. So enclosure time. I built a 4x8 enclosure for my old tegu, and he loved it... but almost too much. He never wanted to come out (I wouldn't either, that thing was a penthouse). I wanted to build this guy an enclosure that was 3x6 or maybe even 3x5 to use as a sleep/basking/humidity enclosure. I was going to make it 2 levels (each about 16") with a top level holding large water dish and the other side having a basking spot in the 105 range. In the middle I was going to have an opening about 2x2 with a 16" level of mulch underneath the first level (this would help trap the moisture). The floor of the 2nd level was going to be a 1/4 rubber padding layer with astroturf on top of it. I was going to velcro both down or button both down so I can take it out and clean it but at the same time the urine/urate won't be able to get to the wood. I was also going to design it so that the 2nd layer could be lifted from the first so that I can remove/clean the substrate easily. The purpose of the enclosure would be to give him a place to bask, get humid, and burrow at night while I still allow him to come out and roam during the day. My question is, is this too small for an enclosure for a tegu that spends most of his time out but needs a better place to sleep than in random places in my room?

And when I say layer, think of it like a floor. Think of it like a house with a basement. The first floor is going to have a place to get water, bask, and just lay out. The basement would be full of mulch so he could burrow and have an opening about 2'x2' or maybe a little smaller for him to get in and out of. Any input anyone? Thanks for your time

Well adding ''floor'' of your cage might be a good idea to add more space, however, it might add more difficulty for building and cleaning. But if I would add floor to a cage, I would make them 24 inches high each.

As for caging size, I (personnally) think that a 6x3x2 feet cage is enough for 1 adult tegu, especially if he/she is spending a lot of time free roaming.
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

The design I have drawn out actually makes it super easy to clean and maintain. The reason I was going to have the bottom floor be 16" is because he needs about 1' of mulch, and the extra 4" would allow the mulch to expand as he burrowed but would still keep it snug and humid. The design I have has it so that the 2nd floor can be pulled directly off of the 1st floor leaving basically a 3x6x16" rectangle full of substrate and that's it. So you think that 3x6 is enough if he's out a good bit?

Even if your Tegu was spending 90% of his life inside a cage, I would consider a 6x3x2 feet enough for 1 adult tegu.
    They aren't very active and spend and good time hiding under ground.
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

See I feel like even when I had a 4x8 enclosure my tegu spent the good majority of his time in a 2x4 section of it. Not saying I would ever make one 2x4, just saying. And with multiple layers that allow him basically 2 separate 3x6 areas I don't see why it would be an issue. I mean that is equivalent to a 4 1/2 x 8 enclosure if you think about it. Thanks for the input everyone