Thread: Need cypress mulch in Colorado (or another good substrate idea)

Default Need cypress mulch in Colorado (or another good substrate idea)

I just got my tegu enclosure built and now need 18-21 cubic feet of cypress mulch. Unfortunately, I was unaware since I just moved out from North Carolina, that there is 0 cypress mulch to be found in Colorado. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to find some around Fort Collins or have a good substrate alternatives.

Thanks for the help everyone

Have you tried to check out Wlmart, Homedepot, Lowes or ACE hardware store ? If you can't find any you can use some organic top soil ( it shouldn't have any weed killer or other chemicals in it ) and mix it with some play sand. I don't know why people use the play sand for but I hear alot of them use it. You also can use some hay. Just don't get it to wet because it can mold. Some breeders that I know ( including Bobby Hill from Varnyard ) uses the hay. DO NOT use any cedar it's very toxic. I'm not sure about the pine. I think it's toxic, too, but I could be wrong on this one. Some people use eucalyptus mulch. I used it before. I like the smell but I didn't like it. I used different colors and with all of them my Tegu had some shedding problems. I don't know if everyone else had this problem, too.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I have had a hard time finding cypress in Oregon too, petsmart has it but it would cost an arm and a leg to fill my enclosures. I use hemlock mulch, its worked really well so far. Great for humidity. I've been using it for a year with Guru and since April for Gary and Rango (when I got them) and they have not had any shedding issues or health problems. I usually feed Guru in the enclosure on a giant rock (debatable among keeepers), the mulch is super fine he hasn't had any impaction issues either.
    2.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegus (Rango & Guru)
    1.0.0 Red/Blue Tegu (No Name)
    1.1.0 APBT (Conan & Riley)

They have been recently selling big bags of 100% cypress mulch in Petco in Oregon if you have one locally near you Rhetoric. They might have it in Colorado Petco's too. It never hurts to look but that where I have been getting mine.
    One Male Ferret Chaplin
    Two Male Boer Goats Edward and Henry
    One Male Pygmy Goat Nicolas
    One Male Argentine B&W Tegu Lucien

RIP ferret: Loki

I do I'll have to check it out, thanks!
    2.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegus (Rango & Guru)
    1.0.0 Red/Blue Tegu (No Name)
    1.1.0 APBT (Conan & Riley)

Thanks for the post guys I appreciate the help. I have been told about the soil/sand combo, but I am scared that if there is a crack somewhere in the enclosure it will slowly drain out (and it is possible there are considering I have 2x12's screwed into plywood. Also, I asked a herp guy I know and pine is less toxic than cedar, but still toxic enough not to use. I will probably try out the soil/sand combo and just try to caulk the seems. Also, the Petco here can order it for me and have it shipped from another store, but it would cost me just under $180 to fill my enclosure with the price per bag they gave me :(

Rhetoric: No Problem! I'm glad there is a fellow Oregonian on the form!

Waddlecaudle: Wow wee that is a pretty penny. Have you tried looking at local garden stores? Sometimes they sell big bags of cypress mulch for cheap. I look into three and they didn't have any cypress but I've heard of people that have hand more success.
    One Male Ferret Chaplin
    Two Male Boer Goats Edward and Henry
    One Male Pygmy Goat Nicolas
    One Male Argentine B&W Tegu Lucien

RIP ferret: Loki

I am gonna call around more today. I will probably end up going with a sand/soil mixture since it is affordable, seems to hold moisture a little better (which is good in a place where 50% humidity is normal) and holds burrows well, but I am still gonna see if I can find some cypress somewhere. Thanks guys.

In western states instead of cypress mulch a lot of times you can find orchid bard. It's made from fir. Be sure you get organic orchid bark, since orchid mix or ambiguously labeled products might have fertilizer and other additives that are actually for growing orchids. I.B. Stone brand is available at some Ace Hardware stores, or Uni-Gro at some OSH stores. Orchid bark holds moisture really well and I've never had a mold problem with it. It comes in grades fine, medium or large. I suggest fine, or at least the top 4 inches fine and maybe a layer of larger at the bottom.

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely look around for some. I would like to put some on top of the soil/sand composite (I sealed my enclosure with drylock today. That stuff is great. I would still like some mulch though for the top layer so thanks for the suggestion.