Thread: Kingston- New baby Tegu :]

Default Kingston- New baby Tegu :]

Hey guys!

Kingston and I are new to your forum. We've been up all night and morning reading the threads. lol. I have just a few general questions. From what I understand, nail clipping works best if you wrap him in some sort of towel, covering his head. Human nail clippers okay to use? Does the cuticle work the same as dogs and should/is there anything I should put on it in case its clipped too short? My guys a talker too. He chirps and grunts. Is that a "don't stop petting me" chirp or a "Don't touch me again woman" chirp. Hes never once tried to bite and only opened his mouth once when I first brought him home. I'm new to the big lizard thing (I've had Kingston for about two months now) and I freak out when he makes noises.. lol. And.. I know the rules, don't worry I have tons of pictures like a good mom :]

P.S. Let me know if there are any changes you would recommend to the cage (its a 55gal). I'm in the works of building a new cage, but I'm waiting to connect everything until our HUGE move, so I'm sure it would help out with that one as well. ALSOOO (Last thing, swear), I only have one side of the cage with the UV/heat lamp (I believe the UVB light is SolarGlo), should I set it up in the middle? I didn't want his water getting too hot.

Thanks,
    Devra
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1- Columbian B&W: Kingston

2- Puppies: Logan (Collie/Greyhound mix) and Claire (pit/beagle mix)

I didnt know they chirped O.o mine dont make a peep lol XD
    You know you are a reptile owner when you can use tissue and duct tape to bandage a bite while you are working with your scaly critters

Welcome and congratulations on your new tegu. Our little boy chirped occasionally when he was a baby. It was always when he was in a panic about something and it was pretty clear what he was trying to say. Like, "Don't move that stick, I'm sleeping right under the tip of it," or "Please have mercy on me, fierce predator, you are picking me up to eat me but please have pity." He didn't actually chirp, however. He made a kind of baby noise like "eh-eh," kind of a nasal, throat-constricted squeak -- not real high pitched. He has only done that once since becoming a little man. He was free roaming and a draft blew through the house and rattled the flimsy door to the basement. This time the vocalization said, "Aaagh! The monster that lives in the basement is emerging and we're ALL GOING TO DI-I-i-i-i-i-E!!!"

I don't think you can realistically expect a little tegu to purr like a kitten because they like to be petted. Their instinct is probably telling them that you are a coati poking him to see if he would be good to eat.

In terms of your terrarium, it looks very nice. You will probably need to move him to a bigger size within a year, however. With a screen top, I would add a humidifier or Repti-Fogger to get the humidity closer to what he needs. And, regarding that first picture, I would DEFINITELY not let your tegu spend time on facebook. They make very poor decisions and lack certain social sensibilities that you and I take for granted.

Its ok, my tegu has a Facebook problem to X)

:lol:What a great picture!!
    Thanks for sharing. Be careful about what he shares on Face Book as he may say things about you that are just a little too revealing...HHAHAHA,