Thread: Crazy Impaction Results!

Default Crazy Impaction Results!

Alright, so I posted a little while back about my tegu that seemed to have some impaction problems. I took him to the vet and the only issue that they could find is that he was a little chunky (he was big when I got him). They said that when tegus get fat they can have issues with their digestive movements because the fat pads (depending on where the fat likes to build more in your tegu) can begin to block the vent. That is something to look out for. However, they didn't think he was nearly big enough for that. Well guess what. He passed a large amount of dried out poop today and guess what it was completely wrapped in.

The cause of his impaction was a piece of his shed! No joke. He has been free roaming but I just built an enclosure. Up to this point I have been working to keep everything really clean. Well somehow at some point during his shed he managed to get a piece of his skin down. I have 0 clue why he ate it (he didn't eat it when he was eating... he ate on my bedroom floor and I would keep an eye on him).

It is out, and he is 100 times happier now. It was just really weird, and since it was his shed it didn't show up as anything special on the x-ray. I talked to the vet I went to and she said she has only hear of this happening once when a snake ingested a large part of its shed when the owner didn't pull it out and it got caught up on the mouse.

Strange

That is weird. Tegus eat strange things. Thanks for sharing the info and I'm glad it all worked out ok.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I'm glad it came out all right in the end!

Thanks guys. Just wanted to make everyone aware that it is a possibility and it is a pain to deal with for both owner and rep alike