Thread: Who's nicer, males or females?

Default Who's nicer, males or females?

Hey, im planning to get a black and white tegu, but i dont know what sex yet. Who's nicer? (nice as in, doesnt bite, or treatens you and such). I know it depends on how you treat them. But still, i thought maybe females are more agressive since they are the ones who takes care of reproduction, and such?

What do you guys think?

I've only got males but they're all pretty mellow. I've never been around a female, judging from other posts I've seen they are mellow as well and also make great pets. As far as I know females only get really aggressive after they have been bed and after the eggs are laid.
    Attitude can really depend on a few things. Housing, if it is kept in too small of an enclosure it can get pretty moody. I don't blame it, I wouldn't want to be a 4ft lizard in a 75gal. Diet, if I skip a meal or if a meal is late one of my males can become a little grouchy. I'm sure there can be behavior changes if they are not getting a proper diet as well, I'd like to think the diet I provide is pretty balanced. Genetics.
    It's up to you, I got Guru hoping he was going to be a male (I love those jowls) but at 10 inches it was only a 50-50 chance. I thought Gary and Rango were girls when I got them but ended up being male. That being said, I didn't only take them because they were "female" at the time, there were some other reasons they needed a new home.
    2.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegus (Rango & Guru)
    1.0.0 Red/Blue Tegu (No Name)
    1.1.0 APBT (Conan & Riley)

it also depends from tegu to tegu, just like people, each one has its own personality. Though I do have to agree with rhetoric, my male is alot more mellow than my female lol
    You know you are a reptile owner when you can use tissue and duct tape to bandage a bite while you are working with your scaly critters

Thank you then Think im gonna hope on a male anyways Well, can you guys tell me the minimum enclousure size? I want it to be able to use the terrarium for about 5 years, then i'll move to my own house, and make a bigger one. So.. minimum enclousure size for a 5 year old black/white tegu ?

I think it's individual. I house my adult tegus in 8x3x4 enclosures...8x3 would be the minimum. I have one in a 6x3, but only because she is super small. Males are larger, tegus are active, and really need the room.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I have a yearling in an 8x3x3, he's going to need something a little larger next summer. He's not crammed but I want him to have some more depth, to me a proper size would be something that is twice as long as the tegus length and as deep as the tegu is long.
    My 2 year old is 32in and in an 8x5x4, he was sharing it with another 2 year old but his roommate was re-homed due to some conflicts.

If you plan on letting your tegu out frequently you can do an 8x3 or so, if you think your tegu is going to be spending a decent amount of time inside the enclosure I would shoot for something larger. Tegus are terrestrial but I have seen some enclosures that are a little taller and have kind of a second floor/high basking platform to increase the amount of floorspace.