Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I lost my tegu!! D:

Default I lost my tegu!! D:

I took my 32inch b&W Tegu outside to bask about four hours ago. He had been getting really, really angry when I took him outside on a leash, gabbing, tail wiping, ect. So I thought it might be because I was fallowing him around holding the least so today I got the "bright" idea to put him in a puppy kennel so he could roam around when I was sweeping the porch. He was right in playing view. I looked up every few minutes to see how he was doing then about 30 min into it I looked up and he was gone. I looked everywhere for about ten minutes then I spotted him under some furs. I took a robe and tried to put it on top of him so he wouldn't bite me. He ran up and lunged at me trying to bite. He is always a very calm tegu he only gets that way when he's outside but I though the natural heat would be good for him. After another 10 minute of chasing him around the furs he darted across the lawn into a thicket. I live in a middle of a Doug fur forest in Oregon. I've looked for three hours and I can't find him. Can someone give me some tips? Do tegus stay in the same area or do they just keep roaming where ever? Any suggestions? Thank you for reading
    Last edited by LovleyLin; 09-20-2011 at 05:27 AM.
    One Male Ferret Chaplin
    Two Male Boer Goats Edward and Henry
    One Male Pygmy Goat Nicolas
    One Male Argentine B&W Tegu Lucien

RIP ferret: Loki

I just did another look around the property. No sign of him.
    One Male Ferret Chaplin

I just went around with a broom running it over brush to see if he woud move. Still no sign. I went around where I saw him last. My Dad is looking around now. Its only going to be a month before it gets really cold.
    One Male Ferret Chaplin

I saw him!! I heard him walking around in the brush and nearly got him! I've looked for another 40 mins and havent seen hime again. I'm thinking about camping outside to see if I can hear him again. I'm taking alittle break to cool down and put try to fix the posion oak on by arms. I diserve it I feel so bad. I don't think all is lost.
    One Male Ferret Chaplin

I waited for about 30 mins outside listening for him but I didn't hear anything. I think he's lying around asleep under some brush. I left some cat food out to see if that might help. I never feed him cat food but it has a really potent smell so I think it might be more attractive to him. I'm going to try again tomorrow. I hope the temp stays up there tonight I think it will it was pretty hot today. Please leave comment I would love to hear your opion on trying to find him.
    One Male Ferret Chaplin

if you are able to, set a live trap. put the food he loves most in it and put it where youve seen him. if all goes well he'll go in for the food and get locked into the cage. if youve seen him in different places set more than one
    You know you are a reptile owner when you can use tissue and duct tape to bandage a bite while you are working with your scaly critters

My thinking would be that he would hide under some brush, low trees, etc. I'm sure he's a bit scared and wouldn't be roaming too much. I'm sure you're just sick over it. It is an awful feeling to lose a pet, been there, done that. My daughter's ferret slipped out the back door one night last week. We have a wooded lot behind our house and plenty of hawks. I spent hours looking through the woods and the cul-de-sac where we live. I was walking back from hanging a "lost ferret" sign the next day and someone had put out a "found ferret" sign on their mailbox. The little rascal slipped through a space in the stucco wall, travelled alongside it, and ended up in someone's yard at the end of it. By some miracle, he slept under their shed, their dogs didn't harm him, and he came out when the homeowner went outside. That person then had the heart to place a sign in the neighborhood. So after that experience, I say never say never. It's stressful and I wish you the best that your little friend will show himslef again.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to you. The good news is that there is a chance for you to get him back. I read a story from a member here on the forum that they got the Tegu back after a few weeks. You never know. The live trap sounds like a good idea. I would make sure it's a big trap. You don't want to trap closing down on his tail if he isn't all the way inside the trap. I know it sound very cruel ( I would hate to do this ). But I would get a live feeder mouse and put a string around the tail. Go to each shrub and put the mouse close to the shrub. Maybe if your Tegu smells the rodents and sees it move it will come out. When you see it come out you can pull the string and lure the Tegu toward you. Maybe it would help to have a towel ready to put over him when he is trying to eat the rodent. It's just a idea. Or you can do the same thing with some fresh thawed out fish ( like a Trout ). Tegus love fish and that smell would get him hungry ( hopefully ). Good luck. Please keep us posted.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Remington bolted from me once while we were at the park, leash and all, she didn't recognize me as I'm came walking up to her from the car. I couldn't believe how fast she could move! The downside to being cold blooded though, is you don't have a lot of reserves to go on. Next time you see him, don't give up chase until you've got him. As time passes he's going to just get slower and slower until he doesn't have any more energy to run on.

Also, be sure to check all the low lying bushes and fallen trees for signs of digging. Tegus burrow when they don't feel well, especially when out in the wide open if they're not used to it. Being in an enclosure all your life feels awfully snug until you're outside with a bright lit sky and huge sun. It takes some conditioning for any tegu to get used to wandering outside the home, my Extreme Giant is still very wary about it. I hope you manage to find him, losing a close pet is a terrible thing :( Fingers crossed.
    0.1 B&W Tegu (Remington Steel)
    1.0 Extreme Giant Tegu (Smallz)
    1.0 Blue Tegu (Shakespeare)

0.1 Red Tegu (Izma)
    0.0.1 Caiman Lizard (Bubba)
    0.1 Black Throat Monitor (Tanin)
    1.1 Emerald Tree Boas (Buddy & Ezzy)
    0.1 Lavender Albino Reticulated Python (Leelu)
    1.0 Granite Burmese Python (Reaper)
    --
    Too Many. Ball Pythons
    Too Many. Jungle Carpet Pythons

I also live in oregon and take my tegu outside often to roam around the yard. Sometimes I get distracted and she hides. Usually I find her behind a bush or burrowed under barkdust of forest litter. My tegu is 47" and pretty tame so once I locate her she is usually very easy to catch. I think the live animal trap should work well. He will burrow under the forest litter at night so your best shot at finding him will probably be in the morning or early afternoon.
    All American Tegu- Annabelle
    South African leopard tortoise- Lucy
    Gopher Snake- ochoco
    Corn Snake- rio
    Mali Uromastyx- apollo and Darwin
    Beautiful Wife- Sarah
    Lots of tropical fish
    Black standard schnauzer- Zeus
    Red wigglers