Thread: Need substrate help asap, can tell he's not liking it

Default Need substrate help asap, can tell he's not liking it

So I researched and researched trying to find a good alternative to Cypress mulch which I could only find here in Colorado for $20+ a 1 cu. ft. bag (and I need ~7 of those). I did a lot of research and of course everything had its pluses and minuses. I decided to try a 100% organic topsoil / unbleached play sand (50/50) mix. First, it holds 0 moisture, second it has unknown wood chips tossed in with the topsoil, and third it is laughable at holding burrows. I want to swap it out immediately as he is starting to dry sneeze and looks pretty uncomfortable with it.

A few questions:
    Has anyone heard of Scott's Earthgro Red Mulch? Apparently people have used it with success but I haven't heard a lot of input about it.

How big do the dry coconut husk blocks get when you moisten them with warm water?

Are there any good signs I should look for as to whether or not the current substrate is toxic for him? He isn't like dying to get out, but he is breathing kind of heavy and seems sort of lazy (I don't have him in there all of the time, just at night when it is sleep time.

Has anyone tried aspen? I know it is more for snakes but it seems like it might make a good top layer

Another enclosure question:

I got a RiptiSun UVB/UVA/Heat in one bulb for him as well as a separate UVA heat bulb that keeps his hot sides at ~105, and his cool sides ~85. I noticed the other night when I was cutting it off that it sounds like something is broken in the ReptiSun, but it still works. Could this be effecting the UVB output? Anyway to test?

I did notice last night that the temps were getting really cold in my room (hadn't noticed before but woke up in the middle of the night last night). I would say mid 60's. Got a heater for tonight and am giving it a shot but my other reps haven't shown issues.

Thanks as always guys

Also, I know this should go into health but it is kind of a side note. He has had some really soft poops lately but is still on his same primary stable diet. He looks like he is getting a little bloated but has no signs of impaction.

If he's dry sneezing and breathing kind of heavy more often then not when inside his enclosure then there's a problem and the substrate should be changed. Even if he's on newspaper until you get something better. Eco Earth works great but it doesn't hold burrows. If you want to stick with a sand soil mixture you have to play around with the amount to get the right consistency 60/40, 80/20 or what ever to help hold burrows better.

People use different things, substrate is usually what's easily available in your area but not harmful for your tegu. Aspen is usually okay just make sure it's not mixed with something else if so, try and find out what it's mixed with.

Diet wise what are you feeding? Since to much of one food and not enough variety can make their poop soft and or runny. Bloating is a sign of impaction if there are other things going on as well. Such as change in appetite, little to no poop even when straining to go, low energy and dehydration depending on how severe or how long it has been impacted.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

FYI any dyed mulch is made from Ground-up Wood Pallets
    So Big NO NO for use, most people wont even use it on plants
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

I wouldn't use any colored mulch either. Pine and Cedar is toxic. Some people use 100% eucalyptus mulch ( not the colored one ). Some breeders use Hay. Just don't get it to wet and turn it every other day so it doesn't mold. The coconut husk doesn't stay moist for long. I just used it when our Tegus were babies because it's easier to mist it down and stir it up then in a big enclosure.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I found eucalyptus to be very aromatic and one of my tegus didn't do well on it. Play sand can be dusty. Try sand and peat mixture, too. I would mix anything in small quantities and experiment until you get it the way you like it.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Thanks for the help everyone. Now that he has kind of beaten down the substrate and gotten it moved around where he wants it there isn't a sneezing problem anymore. He seems to be doing well and is happy. He will crawl out of his enclosure to hang out with me and go back in when he wants to bask, go to bed, or get water. Being a free roamer, he never burrowed much. He doesn't try to burrow really in the enclosure just dig down some so that he can get more comfortable in his basking spot (I left more sand in the middle when mixing than on top to help with dust/inhalation issues). Now he has it packed down nicely and seems to be enjoying himself.

He is feeding on ground turkey and tilapia as a primary diet with fruits and veggies once every other week (alternating). The person I got him from said that he would not eat rodents, and I have tried a few techniques with some extra snake feeder rats with no success. He just has no interest. Any input on some other staples? The exotic vet at CSU vet hospital (very reputable) said that the diet was fine and he seems to be healthy other than the fact he is just kinda lazy and fat. She even mentioned that a lot of tegus main diet in their native environment is trash and hand-outs from people. His calcium levels don't seem to be an issue (he is 4'+, growing healthy, has 0 signs of calcium problems) and his diet is low enough in fat that he shouldn't be getting plump (though he could be packing on for winter).

I gave him a cardboard box filled with coconut husk that he LOVES to sleep in. It burrows fairly well, stays moist but not too moist, and keeps him insulated well. I am going to make a permanent wooden box in the near future for him to hibernate in, but for now it is working well.