Thread: Tegu fiber?

Default Tegu fiber?

Hey guys! My tegu (around 22 inches) has been having somewhat runny stools lately. Not all the time, just about 30 % of the time. I feed him raw ground turkey and beef, tilapia and occasionally scrambled eggs. I calcium dust 3-5 times a week and add fruits in with his meat about twice a week. Humidity stays between 40-60 and basking temp is around 95+. Ambient is in the 80's during the day and 70's at night. Is there anything I can feed him that will give him fiber to help his stools normalize? I have dehydrated redfoot tortoise pellets that give great fiber to my tortoise. Would the same work for him ( I doubt it but I was just wondering, I would mix it in with his meat just like I do with his fruits), but mainly I just want to find something to give him some fiber. Thanks

He needs whole prey in his diet be it rodents and or insects. What are you using to measure temps? 95+ doesn't say much and is low for basking. Too much meaty meals with out organs, low calcium and vitamins can cause all sorts of problems.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

He stopped insects awhile ago. I've tried roaches, crickets and mealworms but he just ignores them. He also doesnt eat pinkies. Can I buy chicken organs at a local grocery store? The basking spot is between 95-100 degrees.

Fibre loosens the stool, not tightens it up. You shouldn't be calcium dusting 3-5 times a week, you should be using sufficient calcium to mimic as if bones were included EVERY TIME you give turkey/beef/tilapia/eggs. These are low calcium foods, you need to be giving more calcium.
    Last edited by tupinambis; 10-18-2011 at 03:28 AM. Reason: missing word

My tips- you should probably lower his basking light and bring the temp up to around 110-115 or buy a higher wattage bulb. Fruits always give my guy runny poo, same with egg, so that may be your problem too. If your "dusting" his food with calcuim, that is NOT enough, read the label on your calcium container, I give about 1- .5 tsp of calcium and reptivitamins per fist sized glob of meat and fruit. also Vitamin supplements have fiber, as well as trace vitamins that may help with his poo situation. Good luck!
    1.0.0 B&W Argentine Tegu (Dio)
    1.1.0 Crested geckos (re homed)
    0.1.0 Tartar Sand Boa(re homed)
    0.1.0 Axolotl (Smaug)
    1.0.0 Tabby Cat (Dippy)
    Madagascar Hissing roaches