Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello Every :)

arggg i hate having a picky eater. he is back on egg only.. i tried canned dog food but he is having trouble locating it... has any one else's tegu have a tough time finding their food? I am now trying to not use a dish and just plop it right in his cage. whats every one's take on just feeding him raw egg ? i am getting stumped on what else to feed my little buddy :-\

Hi Mike. It's nice to see you again. To be honest with you the only time I heared of a Tegu having a hard time finding his/her food is when there is a health problem. When we got our Zeus in 07 he went right into hibernation. Whe he came out of it he wasn't the same and had a MBD ( metabolic bone desease ). He had a very hard time finding/picking up his food. Someone elses rescue Tegu had the same problem. What kind of lighting do you use, how far away is it from your Tegu and how old is the lighting ? I'm not saying that yours has MBD. But that's the first thing that came to my mind. I wouldn't feed him the raw egg yolks ( only hard boiled or scrambeld with nothing else in it ). Try to stop feeding the eggs. When he is hungry enough he will eat what you give him. I wouldn't feed him anything that comes out of a can. Like the dog food. It's way to high in fat. Have you tried to give him some fresh fish filets ( warmed up in some hot tap water ) ?
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I looked at your photos and this is the red, correct?

Does he have a UVB source? Are basking temps reaching 110-115?

What exactly is he eating during a week?

During a week's time, he should be eating every day, as much as he wants, until he reaches full size. I feed my tegus raw eggs and don't have a problem with it, but it is not a staple. In your case, if he eats raw egg, I would use it to get him to eat other food. Try F/T fuzzy mice dipped in egg. Make small ground turkey meatballs dipped in egg. Add calcium to everything without bones.

I don't think the issue is that the tegu can't find his food, but just isn't interested. Perhaps it is seasonal as well.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I just bought a new uva light (which is def brighter then my last) and have 2 uvb bulbs that take up the whole cage which now i am testing with only 1 uvb on the hot side. his basking spot is set to 115 exactly and he def enjoys laying there for most of the day. The only thing i get him to eat is grapes and raw egg. I have tried ground turkey,ground beef,cooked egg (boiled,scrambled), canned dog food, tuna, pinkies,fuzzies,crickets, even bought tegu bites. none of the following does he show any interest in. I am dethawing fish as we speak right now! He is definitely getting bigger and is having no noticeable problems with passing stool. I appreciate all your help anything else that you can think of i greatly appreciate. I might be taking to vet soon since im getting worried. Im gonna be posting my caging in my next post, taking pics now...

k so i dipped fish in egg and he ate one! i am leaving him in feeding cage with all dipped in egg.. hopefully he doesnt get smart and lick off the egg.. again thank you for fast responses...

oh and about pictures i wanted to state:

cage is gonna be expanded it currently is only 5 ft long will be ordering another 4 ft extension when he is older so thats why so short.
    its only showing 112 in basking cause i had cage open for a bit
    humidity you can see is under control in pics

i was wondering if the 50 watt light is too close, i have a 160 watt mercury vapor which you can see in pic but i need to get the right wattage/do some modification to cage for that to work.

thank the tegu gods for these forums
    love you all! <3

No problem, we just want to try and help. I'm glad he ate something for you. Just keep up with the calcium as he grows.

I'm not so familiar with the 50wtt bulb as my set up is different. Is the 50 watt bulb the one right above the half log and is it a UVA/heat source? At first glance I would want to say it is too close for an unprotected bulb, but it depends on your lizard. I have a young tegu who is in the wacko jumping stage and I wouldn't want a bare bulb in there. But I have a 100watt Power Sun unprotected in with my adult Colombians and it has never been an issue. I know I'm taking a chance with my set up like that, so I don't recommend it to others, if you know what I mean.

But what I will say is that you do need your UVB to be on the primary basking site. So if your tegu is hanging out under the 50 watt where it is 115, and the 160watts are on the side where he doesn't bask, then he isn't getting the full benefit of the UVB. Proper body temperature is necessary for utilization of UVB, Vit D synthesis, and calcium metabolism. Of course, I don't know exactly what bulb you have over the half log, so all this may just be rambling thoughts....

I don't mean to sound insulting, but do you know there is a difference between UVA and UVB? UVB is used for calcium metabolism. Sometimes reptile owners don't realize there is a difference, so I'm just checking.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

i have 2 uvb floresecnt light running along the tank that i leave on 24/7 .. is this good or should i put in another fixture next to the 50 watt where he lays, take out the floresent lighting and just have the 2 bulbs where he basks?

*your correct it is the one under the log (the 50 watt)

Cool

mlewis412,
    Hi & welcome to the forum!
    just wanted to give you a tip about getting your baby to eat meat.
    Offer the ground turkey with just a little bit of beef liver mixed in it, not enough to make it "look" dark or bloody.
    Don't worry about dusting it or adding anything else to it just yet, ... just to see
    Also, just put it in the bin with him and stay still or leave room for a few minutes.

Try it and let me know if he takes it in or not.