Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beardie Cage

Default Beardie Cage

This is a bearded dragon cage I made for my gf for xmas. We'll be getting the dragon in a few days, it's her first reptile.

photo-13.jpg
    Day 1...not looking so good.

photo-15.jpg
    Styrofoam rock wall

photo-20.jpg
    Almost finished

photo-23.jpg
    Finally finished

Hi bclark1979. First I would like to welcome you to our Tegu forum family. OMG. This is one awsome looking enclosure. Your Bearded Dragon is very lucky to have a home like this one. You did a great job. Congrats on getting the Bearded Dragon.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

that thing is sweet. Nice work,very nice.

Thanks for the compliments guys. A lot of time, sweat and band aids went into that cage. lol I ordered her an 8" orange leatherback german giant male this morning, should be in tuesday morning. I'll add pics of him in his new home.

man if i got my g/f a reptile for any occasion,she'd freak out!

hey bclark.....was the rock wall a pain to make??? i'd love the make one. dont think i'd do it for a large enclosure like a gu,but maybe for a small lizard or snake. i've read a few write up on the wall,some say they'll never do it again,some dont mind. i built my cage,and making a living working with my hands so, i wont mind the time...think it'd be fun.

The only real pain was the mess the styrofoam made when I shaped it with a scrub sponge *yellow sponge you wash dishes with, that has tough green side* The foam got everywhere...EVERYWHERE! Other than that it was pretty easy. I bought 2 big sheets of foam from Lowe's, glued the pieces together with liquid nails, shaped them, put on 3 coats of grout (start out with a thin/watery coat, make the next 2 a little thicker than the last), mixed acrylic craft paint with Modge Podge all surface non toxic sealant and painted 5 coats. That's pretty much all there was to it. Adding the paint directly into the sealant saves time and lets you experiment with the colors, if you don't like it just paint over it. You can never have too much sealant.

beardie.jpg
    This is the little man, not sure what she's going to name him yet.

Your welcome . He is very good lucking. Thank you for posting the picture.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

That is an awesome looking enclosure. And your beardie is so cute!
    1.0.0. English Budgie (Peanut)
    1.0.0. Red-Eared Slider (Rocky)
    1.0.0. Bearded Dragon (Gomek)
    www.youtube.com/SnakeEyes223

Nice Job! That enclosure is sick! What are the final dimensions in the living space? Do you use the bottom parts for storage? I bought my girlfriend her first reptile that happened to be a bearded dragon too.