Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pine bark substrate

Default Pine bark substrate

Currently, there is no source for cypress mulch in Southern Idaho that I can find. Also Idaho / cold is not conducive to growning orchids so no orchid bark is available either. There is pine bark however but I have heard that it is also not recommended. My question is why?
    Buying cypress mulch at Petsmart would cost a fortune and they don't stock enough anyway. The boy that I putting in the enclosure is hibernating and will be awake when I get him but my guess is that he will go back to sleep right away. The enclosure is temporary by the way and is a converted closet so top soil is out.
    I might be able to find aspen shavings in sufficient quantities for now. Another idea was to put down outdoor carpeting and a bunch of loose blankets for him to burrow in.

I would really appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

If he's only going to be hibernating I don't see a problem with using carpet and blankets.

You should look into getting coconut husk fiber (coir). It has similar properties to cypress mulch and is more available because it is used by the nursery industry. If there is a nursery supply store or hydroponics store you should be able to find it. It comes in a compressed bale that expands when you wet it.
    All American Tegu- Annabelle
    South African leopard tortoise- Lucy
    Gopher Snake- ochoco
    Corn Snake- rio
    Mali Uromastyx- apollo and Darwin
    Beautiful Wife- Sarah
    Lots of tropical fish
    Black standard schnauzer- Zeus
    Red wigglers

Do they sell eucalyptus mulch where you live ? If they do I would get the all natural one not the ones with the red or dark coloring added. The coco fiber is good, too, but the only bad thing about it is that it dries out very fast. You can find the mulch at Lowes, Home Depot or ACE Hardware stores and nursery. I forgot to mention that Cedar and Pine mulch is toxic.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

The reason why is because pine is aromatic which means is has oil that can be irritating to the skin and respiratory passages. It can irritate any mucous membrane, ie eye, nose,mouth, cloaca.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I did some research and found that emmisions come from phenol, (a hydrocarbon). When extracted, it becomes turpentine, hence the health problem. So far I have checked with every Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, garden center to no avail. They have no cypress mulch, no fir mulch and pretty much nothing that will work until next spring. If I go to Petsmart, a 8+ litre bag or .33 cubic feet is $10 a bag. In order to even get enough to temprarily house my big boy it will cost over $1,000 at Pets Mart. While it is not perfect, I am going to buy aspen shavings and mix it with coconut bark which will cost about $80 total for the aspen and coco bark. As long as I keep it misted and turned occasionally it should be ok. Prior to using it I will leave it outside for a couple of nights. With temps in the singel digits, it will kill stray critters, (mites).
    I actually found some cypress in 3cu ft bags, each bag weighing 30#. The shipping for ten bags would be $358 for $29.70 worth of cypress.
    Then there is the big pile of blankets idea to burrow into for the long winters nap.

I forgot to mention that if you have a feed store near you, you can check to see if they have some Hay. Some breeders put Hey in the outside enclosures. But please make sure if you get it that you don't get it to wet and you would have to stir it up every other day so it will not mold.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

You Should try hemlock bark mulch (the dark stuff, not the red) I have heard of a few people that use it with no problems but can't find much info on it. I am thinking about trying it. You can get it anywhere you can get landscape supplies and it is usually sold by the cubic yard. It holds moisture similar to cypress and doesn't mold like aspen and fir.
    All American Tegu- Annabelle
    South African leopard tortoise- Lucy
    Gopher Snake- ochoco
    Corn Snake- rio
    Mali Uromastyx- apollo and Darwin
    Beautiful Wife- Sarah
    Lots of tropical fish
    Black standard schnauzer- Zeus
    Red wigglers

Even natural pine, as in pine trees, has oil and sap that is irritating. The making of turpentine is a process, it is not in your mulch. Turpentine is made from pine and that is the similarity. Phenols are found in others things besides pine and cedar, naturally and synthetic.

An easy to read, simplified link:
    http://www.ehow.com/facts_5568662_da...r-bedding.html
    Last edited by laurarfl; 12-07-2011 at 06:32 PM.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Elwood, IL - Southwest Suburb of Chicago (about an hour away)

You could look into the coco coir bricks and just order them online, they don't weigh much and they aren't bulky so they shouldn't cost much to ship, if you can't find them in your area. Also your petsmart should carry them. Aspen will work in the meantime but just watch for mold, also the coco coir bricks do dry out a bit, but if you rotate and spray it every couple days it will stay pretty moist. Good luck.
    -Art-