Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No posts?

I know that it took me a few weeks to be approved so that I could post. I will add some pictures later today by the way.

On Tegu's, the presence of Salmonella isn't surprising considering their diet. What would be fascinating would be research on captive pet Tegu's. In other words, diet variations and their effect on growth health on over one hundred plus animals. Temperature statistics including ambient, basking, hibernation etc of enlosures over a large population. Temprament variations between species, handling frequency, method as documented by a third part observer. This would include observed Tegu owner bonding.
    I know that people both here and on TT serve as mentors and that there are a grillion videos on You Tube and there is a great deal of experience with Tegu husbandry that can be tapped. What I am talking about is asking a relatively large group of Tegu owners the exact same questions and doing actual field observation, measurements etc in peoples homes or where ever they keep their Tegus. The result would be a body of information gathered objectively and empirically.

I know that the liklihood of this ever happening is slim to none and that most people would not really be interested in a study like this but some of us, (like yours truely), would find it very interesting.

While I undoubtedly enjoy a good debate, the caveat is "good". I'm not fond of the typical ego-tripping pissing matches that the internet seems to foster, and unfortunately there's a significant amount of that over on TT. Too many people more interested in being King Turd of Feces Island than in promoting the hobby, last time I browsed there.

Dana, the problem with such an endeavour is that without rigourous controls, and proper understanding of the data, such information would be meaningless and rather highly but falsely influencial. For instance, take a look at the compiled data on the nutritional content of whole prey animals that get thrown about. You see conclusions from people based from that such as rats have more fat than mice, or pinkies have more calcium than hoppers, when the data doesn't really say that. People focus on averages as if they are the only data point and are a goal to be strived for, when all that an average represents is a "center" point of the data, that's all. That information also lacked any standard controls for the numerous studies from which the data was pulled from, which makes it very difficult to properly address the data being presented. Don't get me wrong, I understand why many people would want this data, and why they believe it to be helpful. However, I doubt they would understand the true value of such data, or even if some of that data is actually good. For example, I frequently see people posting on how quick to get their tegus to adulthood, that if a tegu is only such'n'such a size at a certain age, that there's something wrong. There's nothing inherently wrong with being small at any age. It can be an indicator of improper husbandry or ill health, but it doesn't have to be, many animals grow at a slower rate due to genetics and there's nothing wrong with them. On the flip side, attaining a large size in a short time frame actually IS usually an indicator of improper husbandry inducing ill health, but few realise this, they just think big is better.

That is why I thought it to be almost impossible. As for the data, while it could be helpful in understanding the species, which is what I value. It could also and would most likely be used to foment arguements and the pissing matches that you refer to. It is too easy to take a piece of information and use it out of context and only quote it partially without the "qualifiers" that may come before or after.

Your comment on pushing growth to achieve some sort of giantism in Tupinambus is spot on. Some of the pictures of huge males show animals that are clearly obese. They ususally go on about how "my boy eats 4 rats at time". My guess that one would be plenty. A fat sluggish Tegu cannot be healthy.
    I have three Tegus currently. One is an adult male and two junvenilles the Red female is about 25" now and likely 6+ months old. When I bought her, my aquisition was not at all based upon how big she was going to get or how fast she would naturally grow or how I could make her grow faster. I feed her enough so that she has a nice fat base on her tail. She sheds well, seems content and is really coming along in the taming department.
    The other baby which is a Varnyard AA, I picked up second hand from a guy in N. Carolina who got two. He is not growing nearly as fast as the girl and is more picky about his food. He will be what ever he is going to be in terms of size and will get there in his own time. I don't care if he is 4+ feet long at all. I want him to be healthy, and hopefully colorful and very tame.
    Like you aptly point out, there is no contest involved here. Case in point, the guy that I got the AA from, bought one from Bobby and when it arrived it had an injured back and wasn't expected to live long. Bobby did the right thing and sent him another one. As it turned out, the first one did live and the buyer had become attached to it gimpy back and all and sold me the second, healthy one. He didn't care about anything other than his attachment to the animal. He doesn't care about his size, his impairment or anything other than the well being of his reptile friend.

This is the kind of discussion I love. I am a "life long learner" and never want to stop. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong or present contrarian points of view. I would rather learn than be isolated from Tegu learning and knowledge.

I definitely agree with about the ego boosts on Internet forums. There are just a few that I frequent and this is pretty much the only reptile forum in which I participate on a regular basis. I go through spurts over at TT, but generally I feel like I'm intruding for some reason. I try to help people when I can, try not to speak beyond my knowledge range, and learn from those with more (legitimate) knowledge than I have. But I'm not a blind follower of anyone; I think about the logic of claims and the source of information. Perhaps the fact that I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon so to speak makes me seem "offish" to some people. I'm not confrontational, and I have other things to do, too, besides haggle on the Internet. Once I've said my piece, I'm pretty much done. And I'm only the queen of my own house. lol That's why I still think of this forum as the "rogue forum". It is really laid back. Speaking of rogue, what happened to HM? I thought she was banned from over there, too. And Megan used to post here even after she gave up her tegus.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Laura. I hope I'm doing this right. To activate a new user I would just have to click on the e-mail I get from the forum for a new user and check out the profile ? I just tried to make you a Vice Admin but only Rick can do this. Maria and I are only allowed to make someone a Moderator.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Dana, your post shows an astute mind, kudos.

I was somewhat aware of TT mainly being directed by Josh, but it doesn't really change my perception of that forum much. While Bobby was indeed a significant reason for staying away, I'd say that particular pool requires a lot more chlorine than I'm willing to administer at this point. In the last few years I've watched a number of forums evolve along two distinct paths: one path seems to foster ego, another fosters help and information. While stepping on toes is occassionally entertaining, it gets tedious, especially when it devolves to strawman arguments and one-up-manship. I am rather content sitting back here and seeing that I've had a little positive effect on the education of a few people and improved the lives of a few tegus.

Haha, stalker indeed! I mainly post there because there are more active members. But I have noticed that some of them are also on here (bubblz, laura, sometimes txrep and reptastic)

Larua I was also going to mention that Josh does all of TT now. He seems to be more than fair with the members, he doesn't give the mods special treatment either, we get in trouble too... I try to stay out of the arguing but every now and then I have to say something about it because it gets too out of hand. It's too bad people can't just get along!

TT has a best of tegu talk with a bunch of links to commonly asked questions. It seems to work really well, when people have repetitive questions we just post the link to that thread and let them do more of their own learning. Is there something like that on here?

I like both sites!! I just wish there were more active members here. Are there ever any contests or anything? Even small things like winning cage decorations, lights, gift cards/certificates.
    2.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegus (Rango & Guru)
    1.0.0 Red/Blue Tegu (No Name)
    1.1.0 APBT (Conan & Riley)

No, we don't have any contests ( yet ) . When I used to be on here allot I posted allot of link to some posts or very good info I found on the net on here. After new years I'll have a bit more time to be on here more ( like I used to ). I do miss being on here. I'll think of something what I can give away for a price and what kind of contest to hold. Maybe a video of the enclosure ( it would be great if it's a home made one ). Or a funny video of the member's Tegu. Maybe if I make some new videos of our Tegus and post them on youtube we will get more members on here again. I revered allot of people from youtube to our forum.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Default More readers and posters

Just a thought......can we as a web site sort of "blast fax" a PM to our members encouraging them to post? Another thought would be the regular posting of links to articles, reptile husbandry hints, veterinary information etc. to demonstrate that we can be a good "go to" site for Tegu and other information needed regarding lizards in general. Also, I wonder if we could, by permission of course", reproduce and post pieces of articles appearing in the different publications that from time to time focus on Tegus?

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

We can. I think this site is known for scientific info, thanks to tupinambis. I think because the tone here is different, people come here to read and TT to chat, haha.

I did have a similar idea, Dana, of posting good articles and being a sound resource. I was just thinking about that last week.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets