Thread: Have I shared my hybrid?

Default Have I shared my hybrid?

I have no idea if I have or not... It's been a while since I've stopped by! I think quite a few of you have seen him on the other site but for those who havent, here he is! I haven't spent too much time with him, I got him in Sept. from Chris Allen. Shortly after he arrived, he decided to go to sleep.. :( These pics are a few months old, he's gotten a bit fatter. I think hes got his full length.

2.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegus (Rango & Guru)
    1.0.0 Red/Blue Tegu (No Name)
    1.1.0 APBT (Conan & Riley)

He's pretty. I have to ask: Is that red coloration on his arm or a burn scar? It looks one way in one photo and another in the next photo.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I was going to say much the same thing, laurafl. While some of the areas look like natural colouring, some areas definitely look like scars to me. Like my little boy Kenny, here, those markings down his lower sides and on his cheeks are scars

This is him as well when he was a little smaller, the scars are quite evident.

Scars, I forgot to add that lol. He came to me with the missing toes, the scars are from an altercation with another male. His nick/upper back and neck have the scaring, some of the red showing through is natural but that is more of speckles. Do you still have that tegu tupinambis?

Those are some serious bite marks you two! So tupinambis, what is the story behind your tegu? I don't think I've seen a photo of him before. He's quite attractive. He has a lot of white. Is he a Chacoan? just kidding
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs

Kenny is one of the tegus from my primary research group. While none were trained or raised to be tame (I was shooting for natural results), he readily tamed to be easily handled and wound up not being aggressive - to humans. Towards other male tegus, however, he was definitely a scrapper and hence the scars. In an earlier, preliminary grouping, he was paired with another male, Cartman, about twice his size. Cartman had to be removed due to his injuries and later died (unsure if his death was in part due to the injuries, Cartman was found drowned). He's a Tupinambis merianae, and if we were to call him something else, I'd designate it a São Paulistan tegu, however I'm not suggesting this is representative of all tegus in that area, just that that's the Brasilian state he came from. And yes, Rhetoric90, Kenny is still with us.

As an example of how this wasn't "characteristic", here's another male from that study, showing a lot more black.

You've now made me curious as to healing in Tupinambis rufescens. Tegus show some rather interesting colour patterning when their integument regenerates, but I haven't had the opportunity to witness this in T.rufescens. I wonder if the red is sort of a default or if it's related to the patterning I've seen in regenerating tails.

This other tegu has a much different head shape as well. Interesting. Have you had scrappy females as well in your group? Sorry to hijack your hybrid thread!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs

Well, in the case of this particular tegu, it's hard to say whether the head shape is genetic or influenced. This particular male clearly had seen his own share of action too, as that head displayed a lot of scarification. As for the females....they were aggressive, but in a somewhat different way. The females rarely went severely aggressive towards consexuals, but they never tolerated people, there was no hint of habituation from them.

No sweat, I think its interesting. I enjoy reading the posts lol.
    I was told he was a red/blue hybrid. I thought the scarring was a weird color too but I've really only been around black and whites in person.