Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Size question

Default Size question

How big/long should be 7 months old red tegu?

It depends on whether or not it has hibernated in that 7 months. My tegu is roughly 18" and probably near 8 or 9 months old now but he has been hibernating since september. As a yearling, I think they should average around 2 and a half feet.

It is a hard question to answer. Some people feed a lot and get big growth rates, others have slow growers that hibernate. Do you have a tegu you are worried about?
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Yes, I have red tegu. According to papers, he/she was born in June last year, and he's 30cm long with is almost 12 inches. I don't know anything about his past for example about hibernations.

Here's the one of many photos

Elwood, IL - Southwest Suburb of Chicago (about an hour away)

I wouldn't worry too much about size. Ultimately if your tegu is in good health (not thin, deformed, lethargic, etc.) size will come in time. Every animal will have their own growth spurts and at different times from other tegus. Also the tegus genetics could cause a slower growth rate. I would focus more on just keeping your tegu healthy and he/she will grow big enough within time. Good luck!
    -Art-

What are you feeding him now and what are temps, what lighting are you using, etc.?
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I have two UVB Repti Glo 5.0.
    I feed him egg yolk and Tenebrio molitor (i don't know english name for it) with Terravit calcium d3 supplement.
    Temps are 70F and around 100F in the basking spot.
    Humidity is 60-80%.

Here's the movie with unfinished terrarium.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0GscVsazz4

Elwood, IL - Southwest Suburb of Chicago (about an hour away)

If it was me I would add more to the diet, to make it more diverse. Add fruits and veggies and maybe some different meats. You could also add insects like roaches, silkworms, hornworms, superworms (the larger version of your Tenebrio molitor (aka mealworms)), crickets, etc. And I would probably raise the temps a bit. I would go more towards 75-80 ambient, and maybe 105-110 basking. Of course these are all just my opinion. And your temps are fine, they are just on the lower of the normal range for what you want, not that there is anything wrong with that.
    -Art-

I tried feeding him another worms, crickets etc. and he's not interested in them at all.
    For proof i have a short movie when you can see how he eats mealworms and do not even touch superworms. With the temps i will try as You say.

I'm feeding him outside terrarium.

Thanks all for help. Further discussion is very welcome :)
    Sorry about my english, it's not my native language.

I would definitely make the basking spot much hotter and look into making some stacks. The idea is to give your captive a range from high to low temperatures so your tegu can choose what it needs. If it cannot get hot enough it may not digest food properly and could develop other problems. I would also get some dirt in that enclosure as tegus are burrowers in nature and love to dig. Good luck -Chris
    Check out my Youtube channel