Thread: New 6 Month old Red,.Has not pooped yey.

Default New 6 Month old Red,.Has not pooped yey.

Hi all: This is my first post here since I have been mostly reading lots of threads here.I have had my little red guy for 7 days now,.and in that time he has eaten a little bit of food each day. He hasn't really been chowing down but he takes. few big bites of food each day. I've been feeding him ground turkey with beef liver and cod liver oil along with a calcium suppliment. He was offered boiled egg one day, smelt on another, super worms and he even ate one small frozen/thawed mouse. Again he eats a little but no where near what I hear he should eat once his appetite opened up. Still I have found no poop in his enclosure. He had urinated several times but no poop. Is this common for a new Tegu?
    Temps are as they should be 110-115 basking 82 ambient, 2 reptisun 10.0 bulbs,60% humidity. He is approximately 6 months old and 19 inched.

I've been using the double shirt method to try and help acclimate him to me.

Hi Paul . Looks like you are doing a very good job with him so far. What kind of buld do you use ? Does it have UVA and UVB ? The temps are good. When Tegus are that small they mostly put the food they eat toward the body mass. But he still should of been pooping something out by now. Some Tegus eat their poop sometimes. Do you think he maybe has the runs and the poop got down into the mulch and you can't see it ? If you want to try to give him a bath and see if he will poop. Usually this will help. If you see him try to poop and he will wiggle his behind side to side ( like my Schatzi did in the video ) then he might be impacted. Does he look very bloated ? If he is then he could have a parasite probem if he isn't impacted. When he is walking around does he walk normal ? I don't want to scare you. I'm just thinking of things that you could look out for. I would try to give him the baths first and then go from there. Please keep us posted. It's nice to see you on here. Good luck with everything. Oh, one more thing. If he doesn't look bloated try to feed him another frozen/thawed rodent. This will help to make the poop more solid in case he does have the runs.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Elwood, IL - Southwest Suburb of Chicago (about an hour away)

Im going to have to go with Samantha on this one, she pretty much hit it all on the head. Good luck man, keep us posted.
    -Art-

Well a nice warm bath pretty much got things flowin. It's weird , I.have had so many herps over the past 10 years and for some reason I feel like this guy is my delicate baby pet. I haven't been this stressed over an animal since I got my first reptile. Its like Im starting all over again.

Thank you Art.

Paul. I'm so happy to hear that the warm bath worked. Trust me. This is just the beginning. Tegus are like toddler. You never know what they are going to get into or what is going to happen next. Please be careful when you are going to let him free roam around. Thank you for keeping us posted.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Elwood, IL - Southwest Suburb of Chicago (about an hour away)

Glad to hear everything worked out. Lucky you didn't have to go the enema route... that's a fun one... haha. Keep an eye on your tegu like you have been and once it gets in the swing of things, you shouldnt have many more troubles.
    -Art-