Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tegu Cage - PVC or Melamine?

Default Tegu Cage - PVC or Melamine?

Hi my names Taylor Ive been a member since 2009 when i first got my adult female Argentinian Tegu then kinda fell off but now i need all your vast tegu experience to help me solve a dilemma im having. I had a melamine cage built for me 3 years ago 6' x 3' x 2' but the guy who built it ****ed up on the sealant and now the whole things rottin out, not to good.

So now heres my question, i can get a PVC enclosure built and this means i dont have to ever worry about this issue again however the enclosure is 6' x 2' x 16". I know biggers better but i cant accomidate the size up, an 8' x 4' x 24" tall however i do let her free roam alot. In your opinions can i get away with that? and the bigger question will she burn herself being that close to the bulb i currently use a solar glo 120w UVA UVB bulb but since the height is so low i was gonna switch to the zoo med 100w UVA UVB bulb but if its mounted inside the encluse do u feel she may burn herself? my other option is to cut a hole in the top put chicken wire over it and use a heat lamp on top so she cant get close to the bulb.

My other option is too contact a guy i know who uses melamine. He says he knows how to make the cage to my specifications 6' x 3' x 2' and seal it PROPERLY but im skeptical after what happened last time. If i was to go with this what are sealants you guys and girls know that work so i can quiz him on what he uses because I have no idea. Any imput is much appreciated

Then for my final question PVC or Melamine which should I choose based on what ive told you?

Thanks in advance for the help

Taylor

Melamine is nice. I use Drylok as a sealant. I think my next cage I'm going to use a feeding trough.

thanks for the imput and uve had no problems with moisture getting to the wood with drylok?

Elwood, IL - Southwest Suburb of Chicago (about an hour away)

If built and prepared correctly the cage can be built out of melamine and be sealed with just silicone, IF DONE CORRECTLY.

First off, either cage will work, I personally would go melamine because you can get the custom size to fit your area, ie: the added height.

Second, since you know the builder, to make sure you have no issues, I would personally ask him to seal the exposed edges once he makes the cuts and before he puts the cage together. He can use epoxy, drylok, polyurethane, etc. Any of them will handle the moisture. Then once the cage is built, make sure he seals all of the inside corners and smooths them out so they are less likely to peel up. Other than that, you shouldn't have any problems. If you really want to go nuts and make sure you are 100% covered, after the cage is built to what I wrote above, you could take drylok or epoxy and paint the entire inside of the cage, but if you do this make sure the silicone used to seal the inside corners is a paintable type. Do one to two coats and you will be set for sure.

Good luck and make sure to post pics when you get it!

If you do go PVC I would either enclose the light (if you put the light inside the cage) or put it on top with a mesh barrier. Better safe than sorry.
    -Art-

If a good aquarium silicone is used and allowed to cure, you should be in good shape. You might also look at the one you have to see if it can be rehabilitated.
    My 8' is plywood lined with plexiglass and sealed with silicon. I looked into the various plexiglass cages that are offered from different makes on the net but the price was huge and with most, shipping put them out of reach.

I can't comment about the building materials, but the added height will be better. If you have a 16" ceiling plus 4-6" of substrate, you do have a burn potential.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Thanks for all the imput everyone, i think im going to go the melamine route. Yeah i know i agree with u laurarfl, thats my biggest worry and sometimes my substrates over 6" deep. And thanks Nero557 for all the different sealant brands and i think i will epoxy everything once i get it just to be SURE. And Dana C theres no rehabilitation its on deaths door and its been there for a while lol if i was to lean to hard on the front the wall WILL break :S Ill post some pictures when its done. And one more question the cage a have now has an opening top for ease of cleaning I can do this again if i was to epoxy the whole lid, no moisture would get in right? because my lid warped on the last one so after about a year the seal wasnt flush anymore and it was hectic tryin to keep humidity needs up. Think the epoxy will fix this cause personally i dont like sliding glass for cleaning with the opening top i literally just sweep up the dirty substrate with a broom and dust pan haha

Thanks again

Taylor

Hi Taylor,

Welcome back. I'm sorry to hear about what happened with the enclosure. Here are some ideas for you. Hope this helps.

Enclosure:

http://www.youtube.com/user/snakegir...66/ctDVDo8WQ-s

http://www.youtube.com/user/snakegir...65/wNQOrKrK3yk

Light buld cover ( Tegus can tear through the mesh screen ). I'm glad you are getting the Zoo Med. I hear bad things about the Solar Glo. I had one long time ago and my baby Tegu started to twitch after two days. I got another Zoo Med and it went away. I have been trying to look for the metal cage cover for the light bulb but I can't find it. As soon as I find it I'll post the link on here.

I would put one or two vent covers in there that you can open or close. This way you don't have to worry about it getting to moist in there is you want to air it out every now and then.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ocStoreNum=581
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Really? Ive been using a solar glo 120w bulb for 4 years now with no problems the only reason I was going to switch to zoo med was the wattage was lower. I work at a reptile store and one thing that may have happened for u txrepgirl is if the bulb was touched alot and got grease from your hand on it the grease is actually capable of blocking the uvb so i always screw mine in with a towel. And i will probably get a vent installed but having the whole top open airs out the thing pretty well hahha

I'm glad to hear that you never had a problem with the Solor Glo. It was a new bulb ( bought it at the store ) and had it for about 4 days. I thought it was a old one that didn't get taken of the shelf when they had the recall a few years back.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl