Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Personal Tegu behavior informations

Exclamation Personal Tegu behavior informations

Hi everyone. Dana had a very good idea ( suggestion ). So I thought I make a new thread about this. It's about observations of Tegus captive behavior from an empirical basis. In other words, it wouldn't be a "My Tegu is so cute", but more of a journal of Tegu behaviors witnessed by their owners. For instance; feeding responses, periodic bad moods, awake sleep cycle irregularities, ability to learn, displays of what could be some sort of need for attention, comfort zones, breeding, impaction, shedding and so on. This could also include taming problems and suggestions and personal stories of the process used by owners. Photos and videos would help alot.

Thank you Dana for letting me use a part of your description about your suggestion .

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I have watched my Tegus and their feeding habits during brumination. Like many accounts that I have read, they wake up and usually consume a few bites of whatever I have out, usually the standard turkey blend. Occasionally, however they will eat quite a bit before heading back into the substrate.
    I came up with a couple of thought about this:
    In the wild, a good deal of their range in Argentina the night time temperatures sink into the 40's or high 30's. Daytime temperatures are usually in the 60's to very low 70's during their hibernation period. We on the other hand keep our houses comfortable, usually in the 60's or 70's during the winter plus many using heat emiters and provide lighting "just in case". With warmer ambient temperatures Tegus metabolize faster and thus need to feed to some extent when they awake from their brumination "naps".
    While I am not able to do the science on this, I do know that a juvenile pair that I have are in a colder room than than Gordo, my big boy. They have barely touched food for over a month, while Gordo, in a warmer room, ate quite a bit a few days ago and enjoyed a couple of mice yesterday. This obviously cannot be considered proof of my theory but my guess is that how we keep our houses has something to do with it. Those who house their Tegus outside most likely have true hibernation cycles as do those who those whose Tegus are kept in garages which may drop into the low 40's at night.

Quite a few things play into hibernation, location would have to be considered as well. But it wouldn't hurt to try and have a few people in the same area do a little experiment.

Other than that this post reminded me of Natsuki this summer the first time he came across Mint growing in the back yard and practically lost his mind. I caught the end of his reaction and can post the video when I get home for those who haven't seen it but it's not as intense as when he first saw it. From that point until it died he would make a trip to that spot when ever he was out in the yard, the same as his marking spot on the other side of the yard. I know some animals love mint for different reasons and uses but I never really thought about it with tegus until I saw his reaction.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

You are correct. Lattitude makes a huge difference. The length of days makes a difference. I spoke with a breeder of Colubrids who said that you really can't fool most reptiles with artificial lighting. They know, according to him an others what season it is, and what they should be doing. He also said that even though the ambient temperature may be 70f inside, they will sense the temperature outside of your house. Of course, I don't know if this is a proven behavioral thing but I suspect that it may be correct. My house is pretty much the same as it has been since October and I have kept lighting the same in one of my Tegu cages just to see what the effect would be. Everyone bruminated a pretty much the same time regardless of light and ambient temperature in my house.
    Once again, I am not a biologist, but an observer.

I think there are atmospheric pressure changes that come into play as well, humidity changes, etc.

As for timing. I have one that goes down a bit earlier than everyone else. When they came up a few weeks ago, I thought it was the normal temporary basking. Perhaps it is because we have had a mild winter, but all three that live in the garage are up and eating. Their activity level is not back the their normal, but they come out every day and bask regularly.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

You know I have no clue what makes Tegus Hibernate. There was this one bloak who own some Tegu's in a desert type area and he stated that regardless if the weather was in the 80 - 100 deg outside his tegu's would be burrowing and going into hibernation when it was their time. I strongly believe that the Tegu's make a decision to Hibernate or not . I've heard of many ppl saying there Tegu wake up and eat and drink and what have you then go back to sleep for a couple of days. Where as when Tila went to sleep the heffa was out for the next 6 months straight and you never seen her only reason i knew she was still alive was because I would Tap the bark she was under once per week and she would move a bit.

Have anyone ever notice on how Snake and Lizards fight you about going back into their cages lol and that only certain reptiles does it?
    The Leo i have Reptill > Loves going back into her housing there's like nothing in her cage but she is just happy as a lark when there something to clean up in it.
    My Florida King Snakes fight like hell to go back in from wrapping around the nearest object to huggin the top of the cage or grabbing onto the cage top lol
    My Tegu Tila also would grab the lip of the cage to delay her return and when you do get her back in she stands up against the wall and jumps up and down at you until you take her back out
    My Hognose snake Makino this girl doesnt care either way she's good on you she's good in her cage.

I think you are right. Barometric pressure has much more influence on all animals than I think has been described in journals. Gordo, my large male I have only owned since late December. When I got him, I gave him a bath and he drilled into the substrate and I didn't see him for three weeks. He was up and about for a day and went back to his, what I know think is brumination. Yesterday, a really nice day for Idaho, close to 50f, I found him up and when I entered the room he was right at the door. He laid his head in my hand as it seems he likes having his chin stroked along with his cheeks. He kept staring at me, which was a little unnerving because he is so large. I thought he may be hungry after not eating for a couple of months. I thawed an adult mouse which I gave him with tongs. He had it down in about 2 seconds. He still was at the door staring so I thought he wanted more. I thawed a small log, 3" x 1 1/2' of ground venison, beef liver, gizzards and calcium which he ate instantly. I thought perhaps due to the huge amount he ate, he was up. Today however, it is overcast and the barometer is falling. He is buried again which I think is largely weather related.
    As a side note, he was still at the door after his meal. I opened the door to check the temp with my temp gun and he came toward my hand. On the rare occasions when he has been awake, I stroked him but he was groggy so I was fairly sure he really didn't "know" me. Frankly I was nervous when he started nuzzling my hand. I was bitten once by Eva when she did that but it wasn't a serious bite and she has never done it again. Gordo, on the other hand looks like hh really could do some damage with his huge mouth. He nuzzled a bit until he wormed his head between my first two fingers and laid his fat body down, completely relaxed. I figured it out, he wanted his chin and jowls rubbed. He laid his head in my hand and was content.
    I don't mean this to be a cute story. I just found his attempt at communication via body language really interesting. Eva has done similar things. I have to admit that I was a little scared of Gordo but his complete relaxation on my hand was a beautiful experience.

@ Lord_Duron ,.. do they,.. when Natsuki's put back in his enclosure before he wants too he'll flip over and rearrange everything in it that he can in disgust before passing out. When Korben's not ready he'll try just about everything from trying to jump down, on top of the enclosure or run back up my arm. There was this one time when he grabbed the base of the door frame with both hands as I was putting him in. He turned his head and gave me this look like "aww come on not yet" lol. So I tapped the base of his tail, he whipped me and ran inside posturing and huffing. Smh,.. he was obviously not happy about that.

As for the mint, I posted the video on here before;
    http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.php?10859-Mint
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

Now that is really neat and interesting Bubblz. He is just like a cat playing in catnip.

This one is a different subject. Our Spatzi came out of burmation. I just let our Tegus roam around one by one in case they get into a fight ( one time Zeus the smaller one bit Leonidas in the leg. Leo didn't do anything just walked away ). When Spatzi smelled the other Tegus he started to mark the floor lol ( the other males do that, too ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAvWW...ature=youtu.be
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl