Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Personal Tegu behavior informations

How do they mark? Do they do it with urine? How much fluid is it. That really is interesting and I would love to know if that has been observed in other owners Tegus

The tegus walk and drag their vents along the ground in a swishy manner. I would think there are pheremones from the femoral pores (didn't tupinambis tell us that?) that they are using to mark the ground with their scent. My red male rubs along everything....the floor, over the rungs of a chair, the rug.

I have a B/W female that has become "the boss" and she marks as well. She started after she laid her first clutch of eggs. Now she marks and attacks all other tegus, even though she didn't breed last year. I don't know if it is dominance behavior or leftover nesting behavior.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I have always thought that the intelligence of any creature could be measured by a few things. The ability to learn as in, how to get what they want from humans, communicating same and innate curiosity.
    Case in point, Gordo again. Since he bit me, I have paid much attention to what he is feeling or trying to communicate. For instance, after he ate while in the bathroom, he tried to climb into the bath tub a couple of days ago. I know he associates the tub with bathing and doesn't always like it and occasionally only stays in for 5 or 10 minutes. He frequently does his business there as well. When I observed him trying to get into the bath tub I came to the conclusion that he wanted a bath and the bath tub was where the bath was. I ran some warm water in the tub and in he went, (with a little boost). He learned where the bath happens and went there.

In terms of curiosity, animals / reptiles search for food and appear to be exploring when infact, it is just a hunt for food. Gordo on the other hand while in the bath room is fascinated by the towels above his reach and wants them. He also has to see what is on the toilet lid. While in his room, which is a mess because I am modifying his cage, he truly explores. He makes sure he checks out my tools, empty boxes, a throw rug that is in a heap, the closet and just about everything in the room. He then makes a couple of perimeter rounds and then heads to my lap. During his exploration he does "check in" with me periodicallyfor a quick pat and resumes his patrol.
    All this happens after he has fed so I know it is not a hunt for food or prey. I have to believe this displays curiosity which goes beyond what some would think or believe a lizard is capable of. In other words he is just curious I think and that it is a display of intelligence by itself.
    It is sort of like the chicken crossing the road to see what is on the other side story.

Besides the pores they also mark using their poo and or urine. Usually after they poo they swing their tail either to the left or right side to avoid touching it while walking away. When marking they drop their tail and drag it through the poo sometimes while swinging their hips and tail at the same time.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

When they are marking the floor I always take a paper towel to clean that erea. But I never saw anything there ( any liquid ). Now I do see them drag their vent on the floor/tub after they pooped, peed and lifted their tail to the side. Like they want to clean their vent this way.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

My male red continually walks that way, so you would be following him forever, lol! All of my lizards (and snakes) lift their tail out the poo. The lizards seem to walk a bit to wipe their vents. For some reason, I thought it was interesting. Most animals have a way of voiding that keeps them clean. poop...er...food for thought
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

One of the things I find interesting is the fastidiousness of my Tegus. They clean their vents and wipe their faces after eating. Gordo, when he has to "go", really creates a scene in his cage wanting out. Every time I see him do that, I take him directly to the bathroom and into a warm bath in which he does his thing almost right away. Then he wants out. My conclusion is that he doesn't want to go in his enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by laurarfl View Post
    My male red continually walks that way, so you would be following him forever, lol! All of my lizards (and snakes) lift their tail out the poo. The lizards seem to walk a bit to wipe their vents. For some reason, I thought it was interesting. Most animals have a way of voiding that keeps them clean. poop...er...food for thought
    I rush Gordo to the bathroom, (see below), put him in the bath and he farts in the bathtub, bubbles and all.....must be a guy thing.

Laura. Yes, I would lol. But now when I don't see any urates or poop I know they are just marking. So I gave up on trying to clean something when nothing is there .

Dana. You mentioned ( see below ), but I don't see anything ( like a link ) below your post.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Cool Potty training

A user on another forum asked if a Tegu could be potty trained. I gave it some thought and came up with the notion that yes, the could indeed be at least acclimated to a potty routine if not "trained" like dogs and cats.

Gordo, who is now awake for a few hours almost everyday, wants out around 4:00 PM. When he really needs to go, his in cage demonstrations are much more animated. When I take him out, I take him immediately to the bathroom with a tub partially filled with warm water. After about 10 minutes into his soak, he does his thing and wants out. Thinking back during the three months or a little less that I have owned him, he has never gone in his cage.

I started thinking that he is a very fastidious animal like many have pointed out. Moreover, he doesn't want to soil his cage and waits for his bath which comes at roughly the same time daily. In other words, he has been potty trained in a sense. He expects, I suppose the routine and holds it until it is time for a bath. He doesn't go on the floor, on the carpet and in fact, no where else but in the bathtub.

The rest of the routine consists of a meal after the dump and a little exploring the bathroom and a finally a snooze in my lap as I sit on the bathroom floor with a cocktail.