Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Personal Tegu behavior informations

Our Tegus are like that, too. But there is a time that they do go potty in their encosures because we were either at work, cleaning or doing other things at that time. But when they do go in their enclosures they want to get out right away. Like they want to say " hey, take me out, it stinks in here lol ".
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I am sure that people that have not witnessed it could or would not believe how much a Tegu can be in tune with their person. Case in point: Tonight Gordo decided to wake up late. It was obvious he was uncomfortable and beginning to shed. I took him out and bathed him for a couple minutes as he didn't want any part of a bath. I fed him in that bathroom and he ate an astounding amount of my turkey, venison, liver, gizzard, egg shell magic mix. He then crawled up into my arms and I proceeded to spend the better part of an hour peeling off skin. He loved it! After I had a huge mound and couldn't find any more skin ready to come off I thought it would be a good idea to get him back to his basking area based upon the prodigious amount he ate. When I started to get up, (he wasn't in my arms), I found that my foot was completely asleep. I struggled to stay upright and not fall. I managed but sat down for a minute to get my balance back. Much to my surprise, Gordo actually seemed concerned and immediately climbed up on me and nuzzled his head into my neck.

Any naysayer can tell me it means that he was cold and needed warmth but there was a heater register putting really warm air which Gordo loves. He by passed it an came to me. Yes, it may be my imagination I think he sensed my problem in some way and tried to help. Non Tegu people should have seen it as they would have been amazed as I was. Once again, these incredible creatures leave me at a loss for words.

You are so right. I'm glad you are OK.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

A while back, we were discussing the effect of weather / barometric pressure on Tegu behavior. Pressure yesterday dropped in advance of a cold front. Junior and Eva didn't make an appearance at all and Gordo didn't wake up until 6:30 PM. He ate an obscene amount, burped and crawled into my lap. The snakes were in their substrate all day as well. Last night it snowed a little and it is cloudy today. I will make note of what is going on with the herps and let you know.

We had a cold front come in also. The Tegus didn't come out today. But our black throat did. If I wouldn't of had to get up yesterday I would of stayed in bed, too, lol.

Our videos :

I still want to know more about Black throats...the information on a lot the care sheets, size, weight, temperament & taming is very contradictory.

I have noticed that temperature greatly affects my adult males temperament as one would expect. For example, last evening, I had both a heat lame and a basking bulb on in Gordo's enclosure. I obviously let it get to warm for him and took him out. He was very squirmy, and wanted down immediately. Of course I put him down so he would cool off on the floor. It took a while for him to cool down and in the mean time, he was hell on wheels exploring and not wanting to be stroked, held or anything else for that matter. It was my fault for letting it get so warm and I felt terrible about it. Later, I put him back and he was his usual self, and closed his eyes when I reached in an stroked his head and rubbed his back, (he likes massages).

Houdini is the same way. I love to take him out when he first wakes up because he is cold and calm .

Our videos :

Default Telling us what they want.

Yesterday, Gordo was nice and warm and wanted out, which usually means he has to get to the bathroom just as fast as he can. He took his bath, pee'd ate a little and didn't act really interested in anything else so I put him back. Fast forward about 3-4 hours. I hear an uproar in his cage and he is really wanting out again after borrowing an sleeping for few hours. I had some things to finish up so I took him out and let him wander around the room with the doors closed. After about 30 minutes I went in and found him auditioning for the remake of "High Anxiety". He was biting his own image in a clamp light fixture and was really amped about something. I sat down on the floor and talked softly to him at which point he came to me. Instead or wanting strokes or affection he latched onto the Crocks I was wearing with his teeth like they his worst enemy. I pet his head but he didn't try to bite my hand, nor did he try to bite my ankles or skin. I then remembered a couple of weeks ago when you wrote about being bit when either Houdini or another lizard was trying to tell you he was hungry. I thought that hunger may be it and Gordo was trying to tell me something in his own way. I thawed out a large portion of my turkey, beef, liver, gizzard, calcium goop and put it on the floor and sat down again. He inhaled what I thought was an impossible amount, sighed and climbed onto my leg and pancaked himself in complete relaxation.

Even in the three days I have had my Black Throat, he has become a great communicator. He rests his head on the lip of his cage which means he wants attention. I open his cage and he places his head in my hand an closes his eyes. He will reposition his head so I scratch either the sides, top or under his chin. I am going to PM you some possible names and I would like your opinion. I posted them along with pictures in the other reptiles area as well.

I'm sorry for replying so late to your post. I'm glad to hear that you can read his needs so well already . I was talking about Leonidas our Argentine b/w Tegu ( that was a long time ago ). I don't know why a lot of people say that monitors are so hard to tame or handle. I love the personality of Houdini. He does have his moments but for the most part he is very calm. I can't believe either how much the black thoats can eat lol. I thought the Tegus eat alot but wow the black thoat got them beat lol. I like the names you emailed me. You picked a great name for him . I like it alot ( the one in your last email ).

Our videos :