Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Personal Tegu behavior informations

We talked about the effect of barometric pressure on Tegu behavior. Another example of weather related change has occurred over the last couple of days. With storms coming in from the Pacific and light rain predicted on and on for the next few days and a falling barometer to go along with it, my Tegus, Gordo, Eva and my Black Throat, Nyeusi Kinabo and all slowed down, are eating less and waking up later in the day. My Pine snakes are hiding out as well.
    It will be interesting to see how summer thunder storms affect them. In advance of summer storms the barometric drop in pressure happens much faster. My guess is that it won't be like winter or early spring low pressure.

It's so amazing how animals can tell if there is some bad weather coming. We don't have to watch the weather channel to know it's coming. Our dog ( he is a Vizsla ) does not want to be outside. He stands by the door and wines. Not long after that it starts to rain or storm. Our Airdale did the same thing. I wonder if they can feel a pressure in their ears when their is a storm coming.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Default Potty training

I know this is an aging topic but today was interesting enough to mention.
    I took Gordo into the bathroom after he woke up and inicated that he wanted out. I filled the bath part way with warm water and after a few minutes he did his thing and wanted out. He climbed out and I put his salad plate full of turkey, beef heart, liver, gizzard & egg goo down on the bathroom floor. He knows the sound of a stoneware plate hitting the floor and is on it! He ate a huge amount, climbed up on me and relaxed. After getting pets, strokes and attention, he wandered around and took a few more bites. After maybe 15 minutes he crawled up on me again and this time crawled over my chest and shoulder and dropped into the bath again. He got comfortable, took another crap and climbed out.

Now that is potty trained in my humble opinion.
    That's my boy!
    Geez, I am turning into a reptile weirdo....being a proud dad to a lizard.

Read more: http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.p...#ixzz1pcf1aKjV

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

Lol. Welcome to the weirdo family. I'm sure we all feel this way fron time to time . I know I do. Yes, I see Gordo as being potty trained, too. Tell him " good job " from me. Thanks.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

A question and a puzzle. Eva my 9 month old seems obsessed with being on the top of my head When she is out in the bathroom, she only explores a little and climbs into my lap up my arm to my shoulder and onto the top of my head. As most of you know, I have very little hair on the top of my head and it hurts as her claws dig into my scalp to find leverage for the climb. I have taken to putting a shirt on my head which she doesn't find quite as thrillling.
    My guess is that she either likes the warmth from my head or she likes the view.
    Does anyone else have a Tegu that is obsessed about climbing on them? This isn't cuddle up climbing by the way. This is explore Dana everyday.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva

I should also say that she often jumps off the edge of the tub back into the water. She did it several times today. She lays in the warm water for a few minutes and wants out which she accomplishes by climbing my arm. After another 10 minutes, she climbs up on me and jumps back in.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva

Lot's of cool tegu behavior going on in this thread.

That being said, let me know if this is an intelligent animal...

Ally my adult b&w basks out in our garden. The garden is on the side of the house and is 3' above ground level.

It's nice because it's 2' wide x 20' long, and being elevated off the ground like it is (the base is cinder blocks) it makes it hard for a tegu to want to climb down, actually they'd have a hard time even doing so.

Anyways, the few times she's been out there, she's come right up to the edge and stood in front of me - acting like she wanted something - and that something was to be picked up and moved ie; she was done and over the garden,

How did I manage to find out? I put both arms out to her, knelt down and they made a bridge she could walk on...Which she did. She walked right into my arms...I'll get it on video and post it soon enough.

Thought is was a fluke until she did it again and again and again...Now she always does it.

Took her to the park last week and she was pretty nervous, which I could easily tell...So, learning how she was at home in the garden, I knelt down and stretched my arms out in front of her and guess what? She climbed right up on them and I picked her up and brought her to the picnic table by her hide.

I learned from her, and she learned from me...Lots of other things I could add to the thread but meh, this was recent and I was totally impressed.
    "I like my Beer English, my cars German and my tegus Colombian"

Ally - adult B&W
    Skoobz - juvie "Gold" Colombian
    Tai - juvie "Black and White" Colombian

Please do add more. Husbandry is the most often discussed thing on this and Tegu Talk. I really wanted this tread to be ongoing and focus on captive tegu behavior described by real observers. The intricate methods of communication, the bonding, taming etc. is fascinating. It was never meant to be a "my Tegu is so cute" sort of thing. The broad set of behaviors include that but I was hoping to add to the knowledge about these very intelligent reptiles.
    Actually, even monitor interaction would be welcome with Samantha's approval of course. I have the opportunity, being semi retired, to spend a lot of time just observing and interaction with my Tegus and my black throat monitor Kinabo. I enjoy every minute of it and treasure my ability to tell people about it. As I am sure you know, people that have not interacted with large lizards have no idea about how bonded they can become attached to their person....and I do mean THEIR person.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva

On that note, I will tell my favorite tegu story...

Before Sam, our almost 4 year old gold tegu passed, we took him to the vet for a check-up.

Keep in mind, this was his first check-up ever, so he had never been in a situation like this before.

So after filling out forms, my gf Karri and I are called back into the back to meet the vet and introduce her to Sammy. We introduced ourselves, set Sam, who was in his portable nylon dog carrier, on top of the table and learned a little bit about the procedure for a reptile check-up and nail filing. After a few minutes, she was ready to begin with the check-up...

That's when it all happened...The vet, on our word, was under the impression Sam was tame, and he was - very much so...

She unzipped the carrier, reached in, grabbed Sammy, pulled him out of the carrier and...

HE.
    WENT.
    NUTS.

When I say that tegu was struggling like his life was in danger, I'm not kidding. Let me tell you, that lizard was writhing, barrel-rolling, gaping, hissing, thrashing and lashing about like he thought his life was on the line...It wasn't, but he didn't know that...He didn't know the vet, who just reached in and blatantly grabbed hold of him...

So now, after only a few seconds of "tegu gone nuts", the vet's now in a state of panic. She was having a very hard time holding Sam while he thrashed about. My gf was scared and grabbing my arm because the vet was about to drop him on the floor and I was like wtf?

Had to think fast, had to do something...adrenaline going like crazy...I had to be a hero...So I came up with a super-quick, fail-proof plan...

I did the only thing I could do...I walked up to the vet and just took Sam from her...The very instant I did, he knew. I knew. Karri knew and even the vet knew...

He was just afraid of her. And he was totally comfortable with me. He trusted me. FULLY. He had bonded with me like I had never known prior to this event happening. So how do I know?

Because the very moment I grabbed him and he realized I was holding him, and not some stranger, he just chilled out and sat right in my arms; back to the Sam I had always known, and trusted.

The vet looked at all of us, puzzled, and then stated she had never, not ever, in her 25 years of working on animals seen a reptile act that way. She made the remark that dogs and some cats will undoubtedly do that, but that was the first time she had seen a reptile go berzerk then settle down at the realization they are being comforted by their owners.

That day changed my life, it was an event that while I have tried to make it a little funny for readability, is something that unless you were there, is hard to describe and very much real.

Sam was more then a lizard, or a tegu. He was a friend, one that has impacted me more then any pet I have ever had - canines included. He was the star of the show everywhere we brought him.

I love to tell that story, but I gotta say, to this day still with a heavy heart, I miss him.

Sam:

"I like my Beer English, my cars German and my tegus Colombian"

Ally - adult B&W
    Skoobz - juvie "Gold" Colombian
    Tai - juvie "Black and White" Colombian

That is a great story and underscores the identification capability of Tegus. The vet should have known better and could of asked you to remove him from the pet carrier prior to going hands on with him. I don't know if Gordo will be like that but it wouldn't surprise me. When someone comes over to my house, I generally ask them if they would like to see my lizards and I will usually let them give Gordo a stroke or two. The purpose isn't to show my guys off necessarily but to expose my big boys to new people smells and touch.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva