Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Personal Tegu behavior informations

Quote Originally Posted by Dana C View Post
    A question and a puzzle. Eva my 9 month old seems obsessed with being on the top of my head When she is out in the bathroom, she only explores a little and climbs into my lap up my arm to my shoulder and onto the top of my head. As most of you know, I have very little hair on the top of my head and it hurts as her claws dig into my scalp to find leverage for the climb. I have taken to putting a shirt on my head which she doesn't find quite as thrillling.
    My guess is that she either likes the warmth from my head or she likes the view.
    Does anyone else have a Tegu that is obsessed about climbing on them? This isn't cuddle up climbing by the way. This is explore Dana everyday.

I think it's the view, warmth and some other reasons we may not know about. Even though it's not a comfortable place for us. Dino was the same way but that was my fault since it was one of the ways I bonded with him when I got him. Just to spend time with him I would let him climb up and sit on top of my head while doing things around the house. Which isn't something he grew out of.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

I did the same. At first it was cute but as she grows, her nails are longer and sink further into my balding pate. Like I said, it is better now that I put a shirt on my head. I am glad that she feels so secure with me actually.
    The intelligence of Tegus and my Black Throat constantly amazes me. Yesterday after his bath and a late lunch, Kinabo, my V. ionidesi did his usual thing wandering around a closed room with me sitting on the floor with my back propped up against an ottoman. Mind you, for the last couple of weeks he has been a real ***. Whipping, hissing etc. was the order of the day. He was starting to shed and I am sure was uncomfortable which I think was the root of it all. Back to yesterday; he eventually marched up my leg to my semi reclined chest, nuzzled my beard, pancaked himself and fell asleep. Before that, I talked a lot to him as I do. He cocks his head and listens and I know he knows that it is me. His recognition of my voice is really neat.
    What intrigues me is how one minute a scratch on his head or a pat on the lower back will get me a whip for my trouble and two minutes later he welcomes it. I guess it all happens in his time.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

Dana,

You should try and get some videos of your tegu and monitor, would really like to see them in action...
    "I like my Beer English, my cars German and my tegus Colombian"

Ally - adult B&W
    Skoobz - juvie "Gold" Colombian
    Tai - juvie "Black and White" Colombian

I will try but living alone makes it is hard to take pictures of me interacting with them. I just bought a camera that will take short movies as well. I will experiment and see how it goes.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva

Default To forgive and forget

Yesterday, was going to take Evita to the bathroom for her soak and snack. She evidently didn't like the way I was carrying her and threw a complete hissey fit. She squirmed, clawed, climbed, whipped and was a crazy girl. I got her into the tub of warm water and she calmed down. I was afraid however that this might be a "bad experience" for her and would set back the taming process quite a bit.
    I sat on the floor next to the tub and watched her until she tried to climb out which was her "'m done" signal. After exploring the bathroom to see if there had been any major changes since the day before including the position of the plunger, extra toilet paper rolls, (which I leave on the floor as all the lizards seem to like fooling around with them), she made her way to me to check in as always and a few minutes later crawled up my leg and onto my chest. After that she moved into her obsession with the top of my head thing.

I guess the moral of the story is that in spite of my fears about the "bad experience", Evita wasn't phased in the least. I think that I am beginning to realize that I and a lot of people on all the lizard forums over think housing, food, heating, humidity, behavior etc. Of course we worry that we are doing the right thing, have the right temperatures, lights, food etc. but too many of us get way over the top about it all. Once again, my $.02.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva

Quote Originally Posted by Dana C View Post
    I think that I am beginning to realize that I and a lot of people on all the lizard forums over think housing, food, heating, humidity, behavior etc. Of course we worry that we are doing the right thing, have the right temperatures, lights, food etc. but too many of us get way over the top about it all. Once again, my $.02.

Welcome to the club, for some I think it's just beginners jitters. Wanting to do everything right and not miss anything especially something that could cause harm. I was the same way with my first Spaz, man.. did she give me a crash course. A little more relaxed with my second Dino and after that it's pretty much been easy. Once you know what's needed and get to know their behaviors and routine when everythings right or the way it should be. You should be more relaxed and able to see when somethings really not right, needs to be changed and or looked into.

But that can be applied to just about everything.

When ever the calcium supplements question is brought up it always frustrates me. I went through this phase where I questioned why I brought it, instead of just using the real thing.

A little off the subject maybe but the lack of Quarantine with tegus and other pets also frustrates me. Some people just don't take things seriously until it hits close to home or actually happens to them. But by then,.. it can be too late,.. and that's something I really don't take lightly.

Default How to tell if you are making taming progress.

How to tell you are making progress with the taming of your Tegu.
    Tegus arch their backs and puff up so as to appear larger to aggressors or threats which we all know.

I figured out that Eva was coming along with her taming a while back when she would walk by my as I sat on the floor in that bathroom. I would put my hand down and she would walk underneath it. Now she stops, arches her back just about when my hand is over her hips and butt so I can give her a good lower back & but rub. She stays that way for a minute or two and moves on.
    I thought you might get a kick of that.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva

how cute . Thanks for sharing.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Default Licking behavior incident

Yesterday was interesting. I had Gordo out in the bathroom and was sitting on the floor in my shorts. He had his bath, ate and was seeing what was new in the bathroom. He pushed his plunger around a bit and came over to my right leg. He started poking his nose into my leg and gave me what amounted to big dog like licks. These weren't Jacobson's organ tastes. These were full tongue licks like a dog would give you. At that point my gray matter should have kicked in an recognized that it was that same thing he does when approaching food. Anyway he moved away and walked down to my lower leg. He did the same thing a couple of times but I really wasn't watching him. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him lick again and open his mouth wide. I am sure he was going to bite. I moved my leg away and gave him sharp "NO". The contemplated bite wasn't aggressive or defensive it almost seemed like an experiment to him.

He was fine after that and we had a good visit and he didn't seem fazed by it nor did he lick like that again. What puzzles me is the "why" of the thing. I didn't have any ground meat on my leg, at least that I know of. He stopped immediately on my NO and wasn't the least bit testy after nor did he try it again. He climbed all over me for attention, which I gave him.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva