Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tail regrowth in older tegus

He usually is LOL. Thanks again Mr. T
    That is probably what my vet was saying about they don't drop in the same place twice.

Probably something along those lines. There are fracture planes all throughout the tail. In some species its in the middle of the vertebrate bone (ie. it would break in half) and in others it is between the vertebral bones. But the fracture plane isn't just in the bones, it's in how the muscles are arrayed, the blood vessels, etc. so yes, once you've broken a fracture plane, it doesn't exist anymore. The bone is replaced with cartilage, and the muscle arrangement has been changed. I'm really interested in the integument regrowth because the colour pattern that comes in with regeneration isn't the same pattern as previous, it appears to be an extension going out from the point of fracture. I've seen tegus regrow the tail so that it had stripes going longitudinally, not the vertical arrangement seen naturally, but even more strange was a particular case where other tegus kept tearing the regrowth off this one tegu, so that one time the fracture plane was at an angle (ie. when it regrew, the tail was angled like a hockey stick) but the colour pattern was reflective not of the extension of the regrowth, but as if the tail had grown in straight (ie. the colour pattern was askew to the tail, going diagonally). Biology is simply fascinating.

All I can say is WOW, Wish I had that schooling back when young. It all sounds so intriguing!

Hey watch it about the losing function as we age...LOL. Well OK, some.

Well, most on forums are pups compared to me. LOL

Rose, I feel the same way . Thank God I look younger then I am .

tupinambis. It's always very interesting to read your posts .

Here is a video of a regrown tail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8McTRC-gTM
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Yep, I posted it here hoping T would have something to say about it. I didn't think it would be nutritional since she seems be doing well overall. But I didn't want to be overconfident and miss something, y'know.

I had a yearling red that broke maybe 3" of tail. It grew back with longitudinal stripes as opposed to just black or just red. I thought it was interesting.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

That is so cool. Do you have a photo of it ? I would like to see some different photos of different Tegu of regrown tails.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Size or health wise it makes since. Since he's big enough now, didn't lose much and there fore doesn't need it then why waist the resources and energy.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"