Thread: Best way for transportation in long car trips.

Default Best way for transportation in long car trips.

Sadly, I will be moving within the coming months and its going to be about a 2 day drive with multiple animals. What would you suggest is the best way to transport my tegus? I was thinking a laundry tub with some peat moss in it but does anyone else have suggestions? My BW boy is about 4' and my black/red hybrid is just shy of 3' now.

Thank you in advance

Kitty! Post a photo!!!

I have never had to transport for such a long period, but I use Rubbermaid totes that are solid colored with towels and newspapers to absorb any messes. I also use dog carriers, but just for short trips.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

The tips of transportation is no matter what kind case you use, just dont give them too many space to move. Otherwise they will hurt themselves...

Hi kitty. That is a long time to travel. Better that you are going in the winter than the summer, so you don't have to bring them into every restaurant you stop at for fear they will overheat in the car.

Hernando has a Rubbermaid tote that is about 18-20 gallons. We punctured the snap-on lid with holes using a 3-penny nail, pounding from the inside of the lid out so there are no jagged snags of plastic facing the interior. Before putting him in the car, I fill an old-fashioned, rubber hot water bottle with scalding hot water, wrap it in a big dish towel, and use it to warm up the seat where I'm going to set the tub.

In warm weather, Hernando has gotten VERY excited in this (I think he maybe feels car sick?) and pushed right out of the tub with the lid snapped in place! But in winter, your tegus will be more lathargic. Use hot water bottles under -- NEVER in -- the tub to keep one end warm and make sure their body temperature doesn't go below about 80 for more than a few hours at a time. I also use towels inside tub, both under him and laid over him so he feels like he's in a protected nest.

You will need to think through the logistics of getting them water and potty time throughout the day. They may be too disturbed to eat but 2 days is not a huge deal regarding food. Tell us more about their habits and personality, and maybe we can help you with more ideas.