Thread: tegu died any ideas

Hybrid View

Unhappy tegu died any ideas

so i got a new tegu brout her home set up her tank put her in it she ate good was doing really good wake up this morning to her died any ideas why i had news papper layed down in her tank sens she was so little i didnt eant her going after crickets and eating bedding she had coccnuts and and fake plants and rocks to hide under a basking light for her bones and heat and the house never gets under 70 i sprits her with a spray bottel so her tank never got to dry she had i big bowl of whater in her tank so she soak and drink she was only 5 days old i even powerd her crickets im raddling my brain with what could have killed and ideas would be grately apreshated i just want to fined out why so it dont happen to my other tegu or savanna monitor.
    1 b&w tegu (lil man)
    2 pitbulls(harley& hummer)
    1 chow(bear)
    1 australian shepherd lab mix(rebel)
    1 australian shepherd(boeboe)
    1 old boston bulldog(buddy)
    1 python(chevy)
    3 cats (peat & reapeat & dakota)

They are still pretty fragile at 5 days old. If you only had her overnight, there's not a lot that could have happened. It could have been congenital (birth defect), maybe she was carrying some germs and the stress of moving made her sick. The only to know for sure would be if you took her to the vet for a necropsy.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I could be wrong. But I was thinking that maybe the ink in the newspaper is toxic. So when you mist the enclosure or the Tegu got his feet wet from the water dish the water got onto the newspaper. Then the Tegu licked the newspaper and got sick from the ink.

I know this sounds strange. But just if you want to. If you still have your Tegu open her mouth. See if she has some dried on blood in her mouth. Maybe she tried to eat something. Poked her gum open and it got infected ( maybe got some ink int he mouth ). The infection could of gotten into her blood stream and killed her. I lost our Tegu like that last year. Just a thought. May your Tegu rest in peace.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

There is a few things that could have happen to the tegu.
    1. Ink is not toxic to reptiles/humans HOWEVER!!! Absorbing to much ink through the skin can kill humans and reptiles alike *Just use Coconut husk and make sure you always feed them outside their housing*
    2. It died from some other birth defect so i vote do not purchase one so young and when picking out your next one go for the greedy larger one out of the clutch
    3. it died due to a parasite's or some other unknown ailment.
    4. The housing was too large and it died from stress <-- I know sounds stupid but it has happens believe it or not.

Now imo Necropsy is for ppl who have had their animals for years and out of the blue nowhere near its expect life span it dies after 4 5 8 years randomly. I expect anyone not to let that one settle and would have to know why and what happen. But really its a hatchling Im sure its not the first one to die on you nor will it be the last. Hell after 15 years of owning reptiles i just had my 2nd death after purchase. I suggest dont let it get you down to much and just take your time choosing your next one

well the breeder said from stress that it happens every now an then and we are getting a new one in april that she must have not a bin strong that everything was done right so now i feel better that it wasnt my fault just fliped me out bc i never had that happen before poor thing even though we only had her for a day it still broke my heart and made me cry the breeder felt so bad so i no she came from a really good breeder and that he backs his reptiles up
    1 b&w tegu (lil man)
    2 pitbulls(harley& hummer)
    1 chow(bear)
    1 australian shepherd lab mix(rebel)
    1 australian shepherd(boeboe)
    1 old boston bulldog(buddy)
    1 python(chevy)
    3 cats (peat & reapeat & dakota)

Congrats on getting a new Tegu. Good luck with everything. Please keep us posted on how things are going with your new one when you get him/her. I'm glad the breeder is so nice. Who is he/she ? If you don't mind me asking.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl