Thread: Trying To Band Tegu Owner Ship In Ohio Among other Exotic Animals

Exclamation Trying To Band Tegu Owner Ship In Ohio Among other Exotic Animals

Anyone who thinks the new Ohio exotic animal ban won't effect them needs to read this status. Just because you don't have a lion, tiger, bear, monkey, venomous snake or large constrictor snake doesn't mean you won't be forced to choose between paying ridiculously large license fees or giving up your pet down the line. Read this quote from the ASPCA representative at Tuesday's meeting in Columbus regarding the bill: "The ASPCA representative went even further to argue that no new animals should be allowed to be brought into the state nor should existing animals be allowed to breed, including reptiles...She went on to identify additional examples of animals she thought were inappropriate for the average person to own, such as: 'Bears, sugar gliders, tigers, corn snakes, green iguanas, black panthers, gray parrots, rosy boas, flying squirrels, bearded dragons, veiled chameleons, spotted pythons, leopard geckos, Tegu, even poison dart frogs…'" The animals listed were a direct quote. So now do you think it won't affect you and your pets? Not today or tomorrow, but in the very near and very real future this could all be a reality. People with pets need to wake up and see how our rights are being whittled away. They start with the easy stuff to ban and once the snowball gets rolling it's going to pick up until there's no controlling it. This is happening THIS WEEK in Ohio

Want to do something about the exotic ban? Please call each office listed here and simply tell them you oppose SB310, the exotic animal bill. Ask your family and friends from Ohio to do the same. If all you get is the voicemail leave a message. Make all of your calls Today (Friday) and Monday so that it is fresh in their minds for the hearing on Tuesday! You can ask for their position on the bill and give them your reasons why you oppose the bill, but if you are not comfortable with that you don't have to. A simple "I oppose SB310 and believe that boas should be removed and requirements made more reachable for responsible pet owners to meet" is better than nothing. They need to know there is opposition and plenty of it. Thanks!!!

Cliff Hite 614-466-8150
    Tim Schaffer 614-466-5838
    Lou Gentile 614-466-6508
    Troy Balderson 614-466-8076
    Dave Burke 614-466-8049
    Capri Cafaro 614-466-7182
    Gayle Manning 614-466-7613
    Bob Peterson 614-466-8156
    Joe Schiavoni 614-466-8285
    1 b&w tegu (lil man)
    2 pitbulls(harley& hummer)
    1 chow(bear)
    1 australian shepherd lab mix(rebel)
    1 australian shepherd(boeboe)
    1 old boston bulldog(buddy)
    1 python(chevy)
    3 cats (peat & reapeat & dakota)

Thanks for posting this info. Everyone should get involved whether you live in Ohio or not.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

After reading the initial post, I found the actual language of the bill. http://e-lobbyist.com/gaits/text/602939 The only lizard it bans are Komodo Dragons. In fact it exempts dwarf Caimans. The permit fees are ridiculously high. The science behind the bill is full of holes. The ASPCA person quoted, if those are her actual words brands her as stoned, stupid or both. Even a fair biologist would blow her comments out of the water, if she made them.

Come on, Black Panthers, seriously? Who calls melanistic leopards that anymore. Sadly they did paint all large constrictors, pythons and boids with the same brush.
    They name the specific pythons which would be banned and the Spotted Python is not one that is banned. All boids would be banned. No colubrids are are included.
    It does not mention any birds, sugar gliders, amphibians, gekkos, frogs etc.

It does not take effect until 2014 according to what I read but I could be wrong. I am not a lawyer, much less a constitutional one. I do think however the the language of the law is so full of holes as to be semi transparent. If introducing huge permit fees will exempt them from accusations of a "taking", they are very much wrong. They use the words, dangerous wild animals very liberally which again makes many portions of the bill questionable. Certainly the National or American Humane Associations are not qualified, yet they rely upon those groups.

The bill is the most stupid piece of legislation I think I have ever seen.
    Last edited by Dana C; 03-24-2012 at 07:26 PM.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

SB310 hearing in Columbus again this coming Tuesday morning. This may very well be the last senate meeting for this bill. Changes have been made and it will be up for review/voting by senators. We need another big crowd showing support for our cause
    1 b&w tegu (lil man)
    1 chow(bear)
    1 python(chevy)

So far...

Boas have been removed from the bill.

No insurance requirements for non-venomous snakes.

Permit alterations still "in the works".

Vet requirement alteration "in the works".

Public contact now permitted for constricting snakes that remain on the bill.

Antivenin no longer required to be kept on hand but you must have access at a local hospital.

Other changes are in the works but not official yet.

One more meeting will be held next Tuesday. It WILL be the final committee hearing for this bill.
    1 b&w tegu (lil man)
    1 chow(bear)
    1 python(chevy)

That is GREAT news!

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas