Thread: Favourite recipes?

Default Favourite recipes?

I was wondering if anyone had a favorite ground up diet recipe. Planning on using a base of ground turkey, already have some beef liver. Anything else I should throw in?

You don't have to use turkey necessarily. I use marked down boneless skinless chicken that I put in a food processor. I also grind beef heart, chicken gizzards and liver. I use 4 pounds of lean poultry, 6 ounces of liver, 4 ounces of gizzards and a pound of beef heart. Beef heart, once the fat is trimmed is very lean. In fact very lean beef is lower in fat than ground turkey. Having a large powerful food processor is almost a must have item. If you use ground turkey, I found that it has a lot of water added. I pat the extra water out between paper towels so the mixture doesn't get to runny. I package it in zip lock sandwich bags with 4-5 OZ in each bag. The small bags go into 1 gallon freezer bags. I thaw as many small bags daily as I will need. I scramble eggs for the kids a couple times per week as well.
    You can also grind and put fruit and veggies in the mix as well.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

Currently enjoying the recipe I found at LLLReptile.com

This recipe has apparently been used as a staple for monitors, captive komodo dragons (at the San Diego Zoo) as well as tegus.

1 lb. ground turkey
    (2) raw eggs including the shells
    1 tb. spoon high-quality calcium
    1 tb. spoon vitamins
    10 oz. water for consistency

I would assume you could add almost anything you would like to this for a conglomerate of nutrients. Chicken hearts, gizzards, fish, fish oil, fruits low in potassium, insects etc.

I've had mine on it for over a week now, they really take to it.
    "I like my Beer English, my cars German and my tegus Colombian"

Ally - adult B&W
    Skoobz - juvie "Gold" Colombian
    Tai - juvie "Black and White" Colombian

I take ground turkey, portion it into freezer bags add frozen mixed greens and frozen fruit (berries or mango chunks). Then I freeze all the bags and thaw out as needed. After the bags have thawed I mash the fruit up by hand through the bag and mix everything together. I then sprinkle his calcium on in his bowl and feed. Never had a meal turned down.

Actually, the original used a ground up Centrum vitamin pill. I blot the water out of the turkey which, when packed is full of it. The turkey around here is pre-ground Foster Farms or another brand. Lately I have found skinless chicken breast on sale for less than $2.00 per pound. I bought a large Cuisinart food processor which has turned out to be the best investment I have made in a long time.
    I feed whole prey a couple times a week add whole baby trout, beef heart, chicken gizzards and fish oil to the "Dana Diet". I have been using a reptile vitamin powder but I am going to move to vitamin tablets ground up and added in very carefully measured portions. I use ground egg shells as my calcium source for the most part.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva

For this batch, I ended up using what I could find at Walmart. I mixed 5# of turkey, 1.5# of chicken hearts and gizzards, and 1# beef liver. I put the organ meats in a food processor and chopped it down to small bits, looked like some pico de gallo when I was done. I then put the whole mixture in ice cube trays to freeze, then put in air-tight container in the freezer. I know the bottom bit will go bad before I can use it, but now I an just thaw a couple meat cubes to thaw.

If I may ask, how much per pound did you pay for the turkey? I forgot to check at Walmart. I have to use a 1/2 pound for each feeding so ice cube trays are a little small. LOL
    Having said that, I am going to cut back on Gordo's portions. Gordo is growing out, as in wide.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva

I just bought the frozen ground turkey.