Thread: Tegu Enclosure Size..opinions please?

Question Tegu Enclosure Size..opinions please?

I'm going to buy supplies soon for building my Tegu Gojira's new enclosure. It will be going in the downstairs of my house so I would like to make it able to fit through a doorway so I don't have to dismantle it if I move. My plans so far are 8' x 4' x 28", the 28" being the height since width is more important. Is that enough height? Also, would I be able to mount lights inside if there is 8-10" of substrate? If not...any suggestions on how to make an enclosure that can be easily dismantled?

Thanks!

I know that most houses don't have 48" doors so some disassembly may not be avoidable. I am purchasing a enclosure close to the size you are wanting to build. I know that when I get it home, I will either have to partially disassemble a portion or carefully saw the top 8" off the top and reattach it with framing joints after.
    I am told that it is screwed together so hopefully I can remove the top and the sides.
    The other consideration is weight. The one I am buying is made out of 1/2" plywood which is heavy. If you go for melamine over particle board, which it usually is, you are talking REALLY, REALLY heavy. Mine will be very heavy but since I can hopefully disassemble it, it will be manageable.
    Build your frame or most of it and cut your sides back and front outside and screw the whole assembly together. The front will be last because of the doors. With hardware for lockable glass or plexiglass 1/4 doors, that will be the heaviest piece. If it was me, I would say that glass is the only way to go.
    By the way, I have been using premium wood screws from Lowes that come with a cube slot. You have to buy or some boxes will contain one, a driver bit but it is WAAAAAY worth it.
    Last edited by Dana C; 04-05-2012 at 05:33 AM. Reason: added stuff

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

I will probably go OSB and seal with drylock. It would have to be turned sideways to fit through the doorway since it will only be 28" high and most doorways run about 30" wide. Either way, I'm hoping I won't have to move it soon. I will have to look into the cube slot you mention, I have not heard of it.

Thanks for the reply.