Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! Sudden agression towards everyone

Exclamation HELP!! Sudden agression towards everyone

I've 2 male black and white tegus both about 2' in length (severely stunted growth due to stupid previous owners). They've been cage mates since before i got them so i kept them together as i increased cage size as they grew. One of my males, who had some agression issues in the past, has suddenly turned completely and utterly wild. I moved about a month or so ago and i give them the run of the balcony during the day. I noticed that when ever i stepped outside but would kinda puff up and posture, the one more than the other. The one male's posturing has gotten worse :(. He charges and tries to bite who ever goes outside. Even when i just sit out there with them he'll try and bite any portion of skin showing and if i move he goes for my hand. Today he's actually started leaping at my hand whenever i moved it and i move it slowly. I've no idea what to do with him, he's been biting his cage mate who's been biting him back a little, so i finally separated them today. Any ideas what i should do?
    You know you are a reptile owner when you can use tissue and duct tape to bandage a bite while you are working with your scaly critters

It may have to do with him being outside on the balcony. He is very possibly reacting that way do to being scared of what might get him out there... in other words, he "is" a wild, fight or flight animal now. If possible, try to move him back inside and re-tame him. So many people want to keep their Tegu's outside and for some, it may work out ok, but for others, it can bring out the wild nature in them.

i've just never seen him try to bite any bit of skin showing when the three of us are just relaxing out there. He'll just randomly walk over to me and go for my ankles, feet and he went for my back once. How would you go about re-taming him to get him to stop going for all things people flesh?
    You know you are a reptile owner when you can use tissue and duct tape to bandage a bite while you are working with your scaly critters

I know that when I take my pair out, the larger the open space, the more flighty they become. I finally figured out it was a fear response. They are fine in the bathroom, ok in the lizard room, which is a small bedroom but if in the living room or in an outdoor folding exercise pen, they are very flighty, very nervous and while not exactly aggressive, I watch myself with them a little more closely as they seem somewhat fearful.
    It sounds like the change of environment was sudden and very unfamiliar. How are they inside? Is the aggressive one less so? How about when you talk to them while in their enclosure? The other thing you may want to pay attention to is how hot they are getting on the patio. Overly warm temperatures result in more active and possibly aggressive behavior. However, my first guess is fear. Make sure that your kids have a very secure, dark, cool hide when on the patio. With lizards, "out of site, out of mind" is the rule. What I do't see can't scare me or "what I can't see, can't see me".

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

the aggressive one is calmer indoors, though he'll go for toes if theyre available, the move was sudden so that might be a reason. I talk to them all the time :lol: i'll definitely have to add a bunch of cool hides for them out there, put stuff they're used to smelling.

I by no means think I am an expert in Tegu behavior. I do have time, (semi retired), to observe at length behaviors and to interact with my Tegus and my monitor, a Black Throat, Nyeuse Kinabo, ( Swahili for Black Gift from God) more than most people.
    Changes are very difficult for Tegus and Monitors. They become comfortable with routine and anything new scares the hell out of them. When I took Kinabo out for the first time to an exercise pen outdoors, you would have thought I tossed him into a lake of lava. He went nuts! The first time he was allowed to roam a 9x15 room he was wild but is getting better each time he is out on his own.
    He knows me however and associates me with security and safety and thus heads for me when becomes insecure. Tegus will do the same but it is my opinion that they will do so just because they want their humans attention and affection...and I do mean "THEIR" human. Gordo my big male will accept peacefully, strokes from a stranger, ( I tell them about how to approach Gordo, allowing him to smell and taste them, moving slowly, talking softly etc.) However, he will come to me and prefer being with me and on me rather than off me. He pancakes himself instantly when he climbs up, which IMHO is a sign of complete trust, and closes his eyes. In other words, I am his in a way.
    You are on the right track. Be with him all the time he is out at first. Be his security blanket if you will. Having him dependent on you at this stage is a good thing. I don't care how you cut it, he is a pet and you want him to want your company and need you for safety and security.
    A ton of people will probably disagree.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva

that sounds pretty accurate to how my one male reacts; the other male seems to be addapting much faster and is a lot calmer. what do you make of them scaling all the way up my body to the top of my head? What do you suggest i do to get him to stop trying to bite any piece of flesh that isnt covered up?

Evita, my young Red, climbs on my head as well. The problem for me is that I have very little hair up their and her claws hurt on the climb up. I think that the desire comes from wanting the warmth radiating from your head and wanting a perch to look for predators and threats.
    As for the biting, try wearing heavy leather gloves and see what he does. I had a biter about 8 years ago. He almost bit through heavy gloves a couple of times.
    Several times a day, I would put my hand in his cage a ways away from him and just talked to him. Over a week or so, I moved my hand a very little bit closer each time I reached it. I eventually was able to move it next to him, barely touching him. This progressed to stroking and picking him up. The first time I removed the gloves and tried it I was pretty scared, thinking I could lose some flesh. He licked and tasted but was ok with me. He never tried to bite me after that. The whole process took about a month, and if I recall the interactions took place 4-6 times a day.
    Keep us up up to date on your progress.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva

he's good in his cage and when i handle him in doors, its when we're all outside that he goes for any skin, whether its my ankle, my hands, my back and i'm just sitting there doing nothing lol when i do hold him now i'm always afraid he's gonna lunge for my face or try and bite :(

update: he seems to have calmed down a little outside and he and his cage mate dont seem to be irritated with eachother in their cage now. they both pile into one of the hides they flipped over; the hide is designed for only one of them :lol: