Thread: Black Throat Monitor question

Default Black Throat Monitor question

I have read and agree that dirt is the substrate of choice for a black throat. I have a problem in that my new cage will accept 1' of substrate and the floor in this old house that I rent may not hold it. In fact, I know it will be a problem. The weight will be in the 400-500# range. While I may be able to make it work in a month or so, I need an alternative for a couple of months.
    Your suggestions will be appreciated.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

Dana, what if you were to make a mix of 1/3rd dirt & 2/3's Zoo Med Eco Earth? That would help dramatically with the weight problem for now, one would think.

I think you may be on to something. I can cut my weight in half or even less and still have a nice digable substrate for Kinabo. I can get sterile dirt in bags for under $2.00 and buy the Eco Earth bricks in quantity.
    By the way I will post some pics of my boy next week. :-0

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva

Great, I cannot wait to see it!

Dana - also consider how much weight you're talking per square foot. It really doesn't break down to that much. My girlfriend had the same concerns when I bought a 6x2 aquarium and found it would hold nearly 1500lbs of water. Plus stand and filters... almost a ton. So, I called contractors and a couple structural engineers. Turns out I have bookcases (and, at my old weight, even myself) that produced more weight per square foot than my tank was threatening. Unless the joists are spread far apart and the cage would somehow reside between joists (which should be near impossible), then you should be good.

I have a single bookcase with nearly 1800lbs of books and wood - all resting on less than seven square feet of floor! The tank at 6x2 was going to have (duh) 12 square foot - a little more than 140lbs per square foot. True and all, I did go under to determine the positioning and direction of the joists, but the bottom line is that most any floor will support it.

Just my two cents and if wrong, I'll feel bad but I'm not coming up to do re-construction! :0)

Thanks. I am going to do it. I am going to mix some wood, (aspen), and peat moss to lighten the load a bit but also to increase humidity without getting the soil too damp.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva