tsI bought a dog exercise pen, set it up in front and took Kinabo out thinking he would like it. Instead he went nuts! He hissed, tail whipped, gaped you name it, he did it. He ran at the barrier, whipped at it until the nib of his tail was a little bloody. I was next to him all the time and every time I put my hand close to the pen, he hissed, gaped and whipped. Deciding that he hated it, I boldly picked him up which he was fine with. I too him back to his enclosure and he completely transformed. He was docile, even servile. He came to my hand and I stroked the top of his head and under his chin for quite a while as he had his eyes closed.

I really think that living his first year in an enclosure, he became intensely afraid of the outdoors and being able to see a ways, hence his defensive / aggressive posturing. I am sure it wasn't me as he wanted my contact and comfort after he was back inside.

So much for the great outdoors. He may change as he gets older and grows more, becomes more brave etc. For now however he is an indoor guy.
I feel terrible that he got so stressed out but am grateful he didn't seem to hold it against me.