Thread: Black Throat Drama, a true story.

Default Black Throat Drama, a true story.

I guess this is about the more you learn the less you find out you know.

Yesterday, I took Kinabo into the bathroom for a bath since he is having what I think is a tough shed. He likes baths by the way.
    Like I am finding out, monitors have mood swings. After being in the bath for a while, he climbed out and proceeded to do his usual perimeter inspection of the bath room and ate a bit of the food I had in a dish on the floor. Prior to the bath and early after the bath he was in sort of a foul mood. I suspect that between the old shed and the new now starting, he was feeling miserable. He tried to tail whip me, hissed and I thought to myself, "That's cool, if you don't want to be touched, I won't."
    After stomping around the bathroom, crapping on the floor by the toilet and conquering the plunger, (sanitized of course), he gave me a cocked head very long stare. Usually he is quite docile but he has his days and I assumed this was one of those. During the stare, I thought here comes trouble and had a bath towel ready.

He started toward me slowly testing the scents as he moved with that long devil like tongue. I was sitting on the floor with my back propped up on the tub frozen in place, thinking that for the first time I was going to be a victim. He moved onto my leg just up from my slippers, still making eye contact without a flinch.
    Soon he was at my waist, still giving me that relentless, cold stare which he is so eerily excellent at. He moved up and was soon within striking distance on my belly. At this point he stopped and spread eagle'd in what I assumed to be lying in wait for a finger. I gathered what courage I had left and gently stroked his head and back. No movement so I repeated it and added a cheek stroke. He moved! He began to climb even further until he was at my neck. All I could think of was protecting my jugular vein and carotid artery. He poked his head under my neck and moved it into my beard. I again froze.

After what seemed like hours, although it was only five minutes, I felt that all too familiar tongue on my neck, on my nose, on my lips, eye lids and forehead. It stopped and retreated to his refuge under my chin. After a while, maybe 15 minutes of stillness, I assumed that something had stricken the huge lizard and rendered him paralyzed and helpless. My free hand move towards a hand mirror. I say free hand because I was using my other arm and hand to support his weight to avoid being crushed. I inched the mirror into place. To my surprise, the lizard seemed to be fast asleep under my chin. Not daring to move, I waited another 15-30 minutes as time seemed suspended and meaningless at this point.

To be continued.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

Wonderful story! : )

It really is true. I know how monitors are more "wild", less docile, and all of that but Kinabo, most of the time is very docile in his enlcosure and in the bathroom. He is less so in the reptile room but is getting better.
    It is always a source of wonder when this guy does as I described. It feels so special to have a large lizard, that is supposed to be wild, crawl up on your chest, completely relax and sleep.
    Kinabo was 32" when I got him from Riplee on March 7 and has just blown by 40".

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas