Thread: The beginning of a new adventure!

Default The beginning of a new adventure!

As some of you may already know I recently purchased a baby savannah monitor I believe it was last saturday...cant remember. We still have a bit of a slow start he finally started eating today (which feels like new year) previously I tried feeding him rusty red roaches that I purchased at the reptile show and he didn't go for them at all (I hate the fact that I have roaches in my house even thought I paid for them) also didn't go for scrambled eggs or mealworms.

So today I went out to menards and got a few bags a dirt so i can put in the enclosure as well as fill a hole my dog digged yesterday then headed over to expensive petco and got a quick bag of crickets and canned dog/cat food. Decided I'm gonna try and get his metabolism going/mood to eat in tact, so I gave him a bath for about 15 minutes then hung outside on the deck letting him get some sun then proceeded to re-decorate his enclosure tanking out the tissue/paper towels and laying dirt/play sand mixed together.

As soon as I put him in he started exploring his new home so I put the dusted crickets and a plate of canned food in right away so he would know where his food will most likely be if its on a plate. Each cricket he captured he would take on top of his tree hide and eat it there so bits of dirt wouldn't get in his mouth. It actually shocked me how smart he is and how talented he is.

No longer a shy little guy, he eats right in front of me and doesn't use his hide at all unless he's sneaking up on crickets. I'll post pics and a video soon. I wish I got the cricket feeding frenzy but my phone died on me. Excited to see what lies ahead and the things I'll learn

Very cool! my first reptile pet was a savvy
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes