Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another hiding question...

Default another hiding question...

So I have seen done posts about they burrowing but am still a bit curious at what is considered normal vs. abnormal. The first week my newbie Achilles was out and about every day except one day after eating a pinkie two consecutive days, then after trying the switch to turkey mix and
    a soak and some basking Achilles has been dug in since sun.
    Night. Is this still considered normal?
    Once again, thank you

Some may disagree, but I don't really subscribe to the concept of what is "normal" and if your Tegu is different, there is a problem. Eva, who is now about 32" but only 9 months old is usually up but on occasion will sleep for a couple of days. While she can eat an impossible amount of food, some days she just nibbles. She doesn't always bask but thermo regulates. Too some this all would be cause for alarm but she is healthy, growinng very rapidly, shedding cleanly, pooping regularly and acts like my long lost lover. I bath her daily like I said before and as long as she continues to grow, shed well, etc. she is fine.
    It is scary having your first tegu and a baby at that. I wouldn't worry to much. Check your temperatures and lighting. Make sure Achilles is going potty regularly and is kept humid and he will be fine.
    If he is an imported Tegu as both of mine are, their biological clocks are out of whack and will be for a long time. Gordo, my three year old male has been buried for three days...He is awake now and eating, happy as a clam. He took his bath, had a big crap in the tub, ate a ton and climbed up on me in the bathroom and life was good.

You can be of service to others by keeping a journal of what is going on in order to help other new people down the road.
    Thanks for your posts!

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

Thank you, I feel as though that sounds very reasonable. I was on the wavelength thinking he's fine since he stuffed his face the other day, it was probably enough to allow him some chill /adjust time. I like your idea of a journal. again thank you, hopefully he'll be ready to come out and eat tommorow!

That helped me as well.... Weasley will sleep for days and then come out and be like... oh hey i am here... and then i will feed him and he will be gone for days... i have actually began forcing him out on occasion just to be sure he is ok... i don't like when he eats a big meal and then sleeps i get paranoid he is gonna get rot gut and die... so but i make him come out and soak and he poops and then goes back to bed... he doesn't seem worse for it... he hasn't been super friendly yet but he tolerates me most of the time... he eats well now that i have him figured out and he poops like a champ so just like it was stated above go w/ the flow and if something seems wrong just ask... but my tegu sleeps a lot too and when i get worried i dig him out and make him get up... might not be the "correct" way to do things but he doesn't seem to care so i will continue... i will also be keeping a journal... i already keep a card on him for his eating habits and sheds so i can add that to the journal idea THANKS!
    Gnat
    "I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it"~Edith Sitwell
    "Nothing brings people together like a mutual hatred"~ Henry Rollins

So I decided to risk it and unearth him, just because my husband said it was out earlier and I want to train him when he can get food. The waking up went well, a cranky as a youngin can be. My problem is now that after he ate he decided to jump on my back and then proceeded to make a jump to the floor, when I put him in the water to soak he had thrown up his meal. He didn't want to eat after and seemed calm, I felt bad he's back to an empty stomach so I am hoping he come back out tomorrow to eat, but does anyone know if throwing up will cause any long term issues? I know with snakes regurging causes issues.
    Thanks,

My guess is that his activity level after eating was way to high. My thought is that he should be left to either bask or relax after eating. I soak my Tegus first and then give them their food in the bathroom. After eating they usually crawl up into my lap or shoulder and crash.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva

Noted, that makes sense to me. Thanks

Ok, I am trying to have patience but in our observations of Achilles I am torn as to what to do now, because he is only coming out for a couple hours in the middle of the day when I am at work, right now it's during my husbands days off and hadn't been bonding with him so he didn't try to feed him, but when I come home he doesn't come out. I am debating digging him up daily in hopes that he can try to get on a schedule or if I should just keep letting him be and hope that he will stay out longer if he get's hungry enough to eat so that I don't piss him off? he seemed to do good when i dragged him out last time so I am tempted to continue and see if it works to break him of his odd schedule. I know there is adapting time, especially since I am unsure of exactly where he is really from. man this adjustment period is rough on me!
    Bearded Dragon (2001) Valcore
    Box Turtle (found 2006) Panzer
    Albino Cornsnake (2011) Dante
    White's Tree Frog (2012) Cake
    Tiger Legged Monkey Frog (2012) Unnamed
    Columbian Tegu (2012) Achilles
    Ball Python (2012) Poe

Basset Hounds Snickers (2000-2011 RIP), Leonidas (2009), Murphy (2010), Theodora (2011).

It won't hurt him if you wake him up. He won't be very happy but it won't hurt him. I gently dig my first Tegu out a few times and spent time with my hand in her cage. She also ate, warmed up etc. If your Tegu is imported, it very well may be feeling the urge to hibernate. This is mid fall in the southern hemisphere. If he is imported and under a year old, waking him up for a while each may actually help him adjust. Make sure you temperatures are correct and that the enclosure has at least 10-15 hours of UV each day.

If he is a captive hatched import from last year, it is likely he isn't a year old yet and won't be until late summer.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva

I have a Powersun in a 20L until I get a enclosure built, is there a possibility the light is bugging him?
    Bearded Dragon (2001) Valcore
    Box Turtle (found 2006) Panzer
    Albino Cornsnake (2011) Dante
    White's Tree Frog (2012) Cake
    Tiger Legged Monkey Frog (2012) Unnamed
    Columbian Tegu (2012) Achilles
    Ball Python (2012) Poe

Basset Hounds Snickers (2000-2011 RIP), Leonidas (2009), Murphy (2010), Theodora (2011).