Thread: My Black Throat update

Default My Black Throat update

I thought I posted a thread about Kinabo being very apprehensive when outside of his enclosure. He is hissy, whippy and generally scared to death.
    He is better in my bathroom as it is only about 8x10.
    Here is an update.

He was better today. After having a snack in the bathroom, ( I usually feed him in his enclosure), He wandered around a bit and crawled up on to my leg, (I was sitting on the floor), came up to my belly and pancaked for a few minutes while I rubbed his head and chin.
    While it has happened before, it doesn't happen often but when it does, having a monitor come to you is a really special experience.......at least to me. He also lets me wipe his face off with a cloth while eating and tolerates me clipping his nails for short time.
    Oh and he loves it when I offer meat on a fork..go figure.
    Like Tegus though, he has his "pissy" days when he wants to be left alone but for the most part he is extremely tolerant and docile.

What is interesting and what I read before I got him, unlike Tegus which you don't want them to associate you with food, the taming process with monitors is different. You want them to associate you with good things like mystery meat and mice. Mice are often used as way of getting a Black Throat on to you. A lot of Black Throat owners hand feed, much to my surprise, and Kinabo will take a mouse from me with the utmost delicacy. After giving him a mouse or two by hand he becomes very docile actually. I know he is looking for more but he really is very gentile.
    I have to add that it works well with Black Throats but with other monitor species it would be very dangerous.

When I got him from Riplee, March 7 he was 30 or so inches. Today he measured in at 44". Riplee thought he might be a year and a half but after looking up hatching seasons in Tanzania which are usually early fall for us, and early spring in Tanzania, I am guessing that he is still under a year old.
    I would love to hear what you think.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

Nice to hear. I loove monitors. Do you have any pictures?
    0.0.1 Blue tegu
    2.3 Leopard geckos
    1.1 American pit bull terriers
    A lot of Madagascar Hissers

I just posted a few on the Lights, Camera....section

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

I always dreaming to have a black throat...but here in Indonesia the price is very expensive and hard to get.......
    Always healthy for you and you BT
    Four legged rock!!!!!