Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: curious bumps on my golden

Those could be ligaments or some sort of other connective fascia in the tail. From what you're now describing, it sounds to me that your tegu had some sort of wound before at these spots, a wound that perforated the integument. What you're seeing is how they typically heal from such an "invasion", forming a sort of pocket of skin around the wound, the wound itself filling with caseous matter. Chances are, your tegu will now have these two little "holes" on either side of the neck, and these are something you'll have to pay attention to to keep clean and free of debris that could lead to further infection. It's possible your tegu might have had ticks at one time and these are the scars left over from them.

but theyre in the exact same place on both sides, that is what baffles me. i might try and get pics of him put up in here again. just gotta get a better camera and get him to stop wiggling lol
    You know you are a reptile owner when you can use tissue and duct tape to bandage a bite while you are working with your scaly critters

So is it a Tegu zit? I would have it checked out, it is interesting that it is on both sides.
    Note: I am speaking from my own experience, so if it dose not work for you I am sorry but it did work for me.

Tegus kept me happy in a dark time in my life. So if you say I am crazy for loving these animals, who cares what you think.

1.1.1 Cuban Rock iguanas Nabila
    1.2.0 Argentine Red Tegus
    1.2.0 Bearded Dragon
    Coming soon!
    1.1.0 Extreme Chacoans Tegus
    1.3.0 Argentine Black and White Tegus.

Being exactly in the same spot on both sides may or may not be a coincidence. However, the fact of the matter is that reptiles have very few external opening glands (one of the necessary elements for a zit), and none that I'm aware of in the region of concern here. The only known external opening glands that I can recall in tegus are the femoral pores. There might be internal glands such as lymphatic nodes or secretory glands in the region, but for these to erupt externally would be a very serious health matter.

here are some pics of the bumps in question; the one on the right side of his neck is the one that didnt come off, the others are the ones that had the top portion come off. in one of them i'm only applying a little bit of pressure and even then he didnt squirm or anything so i dont think it bothers him.
    2012-05-25_18-40-11_632.jpg
    2012-05-25_18-49-54_328.jpg
    2012-05-25_18-52-54_94.jpg
    You know you are a reptile owner when you can use tissue and duct tape to bandage a bite while you are working with your scaly critters

when i stopped squeezing it, the white stuff retreated back in

From those pictures it is clear that whereas you think they are in the exact same spot, they really aren't. They're superficially in the same general area on either side of the head. Hence I'm more inclined than ever before to think this is not normal. The white stuff is likely just caseous matter. In infected wounds in lizards, they typically "package" the infection in pocket of "tissue", and unlike in us where our puss is typically quite fluid, in reptiles it typically is more like old pudding. I'd be inclined to remove as much of that white stuff as possible and then flush the hole with a betadine solution.

i've wiped at the stuff before but it doesnt wipe away. its actual tissue or something. i might try and wipe it today, ive been putting a topical antibiotic, silver something, on both of them.

I don't mean wipe, I mean you need to get in there and seriously clean it out. If you can squeeze it out with a bit of pressure, then it shouldn't be all that hard to find a decent pair of forceps and pull it out. A curved tip syringe would be great for flushing out the hole too.

Wow. This is so strange and so interesting. Thank you so much for keeping us posted. Do you have a youtube channel ? It would be great to have a video of this so others can learn from it.

Tupinambis. This is just a thought. Would it help to take a clean needle and poke a hole in that white part and then try to squeeze that stuff out ? Like I sad it's just a thought.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl