Thread: How often should my tegu eat mice?

Default How often should my tegu eat mice?

I usually feed all of my lizards one mouse a week, (including my baby savannahs). They are simple, fast and good for them so I was wondering is 1 a week enough? Should I increase it to two maybe? Is there a down side to feeding them a lot of mice, other than a lack of variety? Also, they all go absolutely crazy for them.
    Thanks

My vet suggested to me that I should move my Colombian to a mostly rodent diet about the same time he had some issues with not eating/calcium deficiencies.

I feed mine every other day as per vet orders and usually it's a large adult mouse or a small rat (rats are more nutritious from what I've read.)

That's not all he eats though. I give him hard boiled eggs with shell on every 3rd feeding day or so, and sometimes I slip him an omnivore mix that my vet suggested to change it up for him. I dust the omnivore mix with calcium.

Hope this helps.

Hmm that's weird, I always thought they could get compacted from the bones or fur or something? I never had that problem but I always monitor when my reptiles poop (hope that's not to weird XD) Thanks for the help I'm going to try and start feeding them 2 mice a week.

If it's any indication, Otis is quite regular, and has never had a problem with impacting.

I think this is a case of differing opinions and what your issues may be. Ideally, our tegus would be eating large, naturally gutloaded insects along with amphibians and other small animals. But we can't duplicate that very well. So rodents become and easy food source. If you need to be watchful of calcium (always a good idea), then bazzlinez's guidelines work well. If you are concerned about impaction, then the hair is not a good idea.

There is no hard and fast rule. I feed my large tegus F/T rats 2-3 week along with ground meats and fruit. My teguixin get the same diet but with large adult mice.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

May be you should try to feed your tegu every 2 days with a mice...so your tegu can get enough meal and nutrition...but between that two day you can feed him an egg,meat or fruit so he can get anough nutrition or vitamins
    Always healthy for you and your tegu