Thread: Substrate idea for heretics

Default Substrate idea for heretics

Here is a substrate idea for heretics. Pine shavings have been reviled as being unhealthy due to the phenols contained in the wood which are aromatic.
    They are also a form of hydrocarbons. While pine has much less than some woods like cedar it has been considered unhealthy as bedding for a few years. Based upon the scarcity or nonexistence of cypress in the Western US and what I read on a post by Tupinambis , I did a little, actually a lot, of research.
    Small animal bedding is largely kiln dried wood and will say so on the bag. The kiln drying process evaporates the phenols thus destroying any harmful vapors that may have been present in the wood. I have been thinking about this for quite some time now and decided to really find out what the story really was.

Obviously you will have to make up your own mind but I strongly suggest you look up and read the information available about it.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

I use kiln dried pine bedding for all of my rodents, but I prefer a more natural look for all of my herps, so I generally use compressed moss and coconut fiber, mixing the two. When I upgrade to my new enclosure (3'x8'), I will be doing compressed bricks of coco and moss, as well as some cypress mulch mixed in.