Thread: Do today's Reptiles communicate with sound?

Default Do today's Reptiles communicate with sound?

So I am watching Dino Dan on Nick Jr with my son , and they had a segment that Dinosaurs communicate with sound. Is there any reptiles today that do this? Now I know birds do? I also know that Tegus do a snort type sound when they see me or other tegus, are they chatting or sending some type of signal?
    Note: I am speaking from my own experience, so if it dose not work for you I am sorry but it did work for me.

Tegus kept me happy in a dark time in my life. So if you say I am crazy for loving these animals, who cares what you think.

1.1.1 Cuban Rock iguanas Nabila
    1.2.0 Argentine Red Tegus
    1.2.0 Bearded Dragon
    Coming soon!
    1.1.0 Extreme Chacoans Tegus
    1.3.0 Argentine Black and White Tegus.

All crocodilians are quite vocal, and many have some amazing displays that utilize sonics. Geckos are unique among lizards in that they actually possess vocal cords, the nocturnal geckos particularly are acoutistic. Some tortoises, particularly those of the genus Chelonoidis have mating calls. But aside from general warning hisses or snorts, there isn't much in the way of auditory communication in any other reptiles.

That is right the geckos make a "cak" like sound. And Crocodilians roar, or mutter right?
    Last edited by Alek; 06-09-2012 at 05:36 AM. Reason: spelling
    Note: I am speaking from my own experience, so if it dose not work for you I am sorry but it did work for me.

Tegus kept me happy in a dark time in my life. So if you say I am crazy for loving these animals, who cares what you think.

1.1.1 Cuban Rock iguanas Nabila
    1.2.0 Argentine Red Tegus
    1.2.0 Bearded Dragon
    Coming soon!
    1.1.0 Extreme Chacoans Tegus
    1.3.0 Argentine Black and White Tegus.

From my experience so far with my tegu I have noticed little sounds, other than the hissing and snorting, coming out of his mouth when he/she looks at me and it is really cute. It SEEMS to be a form of communication... unless it is just wishful thinking on my part.

I do think that they can communicate with sounds. When they were little and I picked them up they made a squeaking sound. It was funny. They haven't done it since a long time.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Default Re: Do today's Reptiles communicate with sound?

But How else would they communicate though? Now I'm all curious haha

Body language. Like some lizards bob their head, wave their hand, move their tail in a certain way.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

Default Re: Do today's Reptiles communicate with sound?

That does make sense. I feel surprisingly dumb haha

It's OK. Please don't feel dumb. I know you knew about this. You just didn't remember or think of it at this time. It happens to all of us .

Our videos :

They have a surprising social network and system of communication. I think Igs have cornered the market on reptile communication. Tegus do make little huffs, bigger huffs to signal courting interest or warning. They arch their backs, tail wiggle, lift and lower heads. OK, that's not sound, but cool to watch.

I think crocs and geckos have the best sound signals. My little female crested gecko would shake her head and say, "Nooooooo" whenever the male got close. Needless to say, she never produced viable eggs for me. haha
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets