Thread: "My Tegu won't eat" concerns

Default "My Tegu won't eat" concerns

I have seen numerous posts on this topic and while I certainly don't have all the answers, my tegus and my monitor reminded me of a couple of things over the last three days.
    I feed FT rodents on occasion but their staple diet is a modified SDZ diet that I call the Dana Diet. I supplement the ground meats with vitamin powder and calcium and am fairly careful not to over do the supplementation. Having said that, my kids have only picked at their food for the last three days, much to my consternation. After a little hand wringing the light went on! Once before I put a tiny bit more vitamin powder in their food and voila they wouldn't touch it. Well, remembering last weekend when I made up this latest batch, I am sure I put more vitamins in it than usual if I remember correctly, which they all hate apparently.

I did this once before with the same result. The reason I now that this is the problem, when offered FT rodents, they ate them along with chicken wings like they were popcorn so I know it is not something wrong with them. This is a problem where the chef, Dana, goofed.

I decided to post this because I know that seeing your Tegu not eat is worrisome and frustrating. Before hitting the panic button, think about what you are feeding. Has there been any changes in the diet? Do you feed one form on a consistent basis with out bringing in variety? Have you spoiled your lizard?, (yes, it can be done and I am guilty of it). Have you changed supplementation amounts or types? Is your lizard beginning the sheeding process? Have you move him or her, changed enclosures, added family members to its surroundings, added new pets to the household and so on.

In short, go over what has changed and you can likely narrow down the root cause of the not eating issue.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

Great post Dana, and very true. They aren't going to want to eat what is actually good for them, that's just for our benefit as keepers!

On another note my tegu didn;t eat the other morning as she fell asleep on the way to her food bowl, and all the worms escaped. What a tool.

So just to be clear, tegus usually dont eat during shedding? Reason i ask is because mine is finishing up shedding but hasnt eaten a thing since he started. Had me worried.
    0.0.1 B/W Argentine Tegu
    0.0.5 Red-Eared Sliders
    0.1.0 Ball Python
    1.0.0 Crazy Cat
    1.0.0 Crazier Dog (Rottweiler)

I hate using the word "usually" or anything word that implies that if your's isn't the same there is something wrong. With that being said, I don't think that there really is a feeding behavior that is identifiable in all tegus that is linked with shedding.
    my youngest, which is now very close to being a yearling, eats less when he is coming into a shedding cycle and before he is done shedding he is pounding down the groceries again. Gordo, an adult male, eats whenever there is food in front of him, shed or no shed.

Also consider the climate. My lizards are affected by changes in the weather and climate. Gordo, an imported tegu, is down for his second hibernation period and obviously is not eating. Captn' Jack also imported but still very young when I got him, feeds with gusto when a weather change isn't on the way. He seems to sense the barometric pressure change and just picks at his food.

I wouldn't worry too much as your tegu will start eating soon, I am sure.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas