Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Varnyard Hatchling diet????

Default Varnyard Hatchling diet????

I have heard a few people speak of a Varnyard baby tegu diet??? Can anyone give me more info on this?

This is the one. Do you need the one from Rick Sisco, too ?

http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.p...#axzz20UNtQEzM
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Ive always fed my babies, everything I feed my adults just much less fruit...
    what I got from varnyard is that the beef liver and cod liver must go together??? I was thinking that this was some sort of special diet that perhaps I wasn't aware of, but guess not. Thanks to everyone that responded!!!

Txrepgirl, whats the one from Rick Sisco??? Just curious.
    Thanks!

Wow. I just learned something new. I didn't know they had to go together.

This is Rick's Caresheet:

http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.ph...Tegu-Caresheet
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

I don't exactly feed the same way. Shall I tell yet another, haha?
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I don't either. Where is the list Laura lol ?

Our videos :

Well, I don't exactly have a list, I'm just not a fan of so much liver. And liver plus cod liver oil together provides so much Vit A which can be stored in the body. And I also think that plant matter needs to be introduced early. And there's a part in the care sheet that says that high potassium in bananas binds with calcium. But potassium doesn't bind with calcium. Super high potassium levels can bind affect calcium levels in bones, but it is phosphorous that binds with calcium in the gut. that just really bugs me, lol.

I alternate feeding my babies ground turkey with calcium and raw egg, gut loaded crickets, really high end cat food (the kind that has little or no grain and fruit/veggies). I'm hesitant to mention cat food because sometimes people misinterpret that. But it is the organic cat food bought at pet pantries and such. I also add fruit in with the turkey from the beginning.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Another fine example of Bobby Hill's preaching of nonsense demonstrating that he really doesn't understand the biology that he thinks he does. Laura is quite correct about the Vit. A (and D) being provided in high doses and with both being lipid soluble can lead to overdoses. Likewise, potassium and calcium don't bind (although Bobby actually has it written as "known for not binding"....like that is a bad thing?!?!?), but neither really does phosphorus and calcium (not as CaP). The ratios of calcium to phosphorus need to be balanced in order to facilitate proper uptake.

There's just so many "that's not really right or simply outright wrong" statements made in that sheet that I wouldn't even really bother to recommend it with caution to anyone. Laura gives better, more sound advice.

My bad. I'm sorry for posting the caresheet. I will stay away from it from now on. Thank you for correcting me .

Our videos :

Laura, I also occasionally offer high end canned cat food, the grain free, high protein, almost single ingredient types... If you don't mind me asking what brands have you tried??? I have given Wellness Toppers, EVO, Tiki Cat, and Evangers.... Evangers is probably my favorite as they have single meat ingredients of rabbit, duck, pheasant, buffalo and other cool meats...
    I have also offered Natures Variety and Primal Frozen Raw dog/cat food...
    Primal has some awesome mixes like, rabbit, quail, vension,lamb, duck, pheasant and more....
    examples:
    Primal Feline Chicken:
    Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Necks, Chicken Gizzards, Salmon, Chicken Livers, Organic Kale, Organic Yams, Organic Carrots, Organic Apples, Organic Broccoli, Cranberries, Blueberries, Organic Pumpkin Seeds, Organic Sunflower Seeds, Organic Trace Minerals, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Organic Parsley, Salmon Oil, Taurine, Organic Coconut Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Organic Quinoa Sprout Powder, Organic Kelp, Alfalfa.
    Primal Turkey:

Ingredients: Turkey, Turkey Necks, Turkey Hearts, Turkey Livers Organic Collard Greens, Organic Squash, Organic Celery, Cranberries, Blueberries, Organic Pumpkin Seeds, Organic Sunflower Seeds, Organic Trace Minerals, Almonds, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Sardine Oil, Taurine, Organic Quinoa Sprout Powder, Spirulina, Organic Cilantro, Organic Coconut Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Organic Ginger.