Thread: Achilles hates water...i think..

Default Achilles hates water...i think..

So for a good month after I got him, he seemed to love his daily soak and even did his duty in there.. well I started feeding him every other day since I am still having to dig him out every evening to feed him (because he only comes out for a short stint in the morning) and I was hoping it would get him to start coming out on his own.. anyway, after I started to do that he fights going into his soak and as soon as he touches the water he clings to my hand and crawls back out. His sheds have been fine though his tail take a bit longer than his body but it just seems odd to me, his sudden aversion to the water.. I figure I shouldn't be too concerned as long as his sheds are good but has anyone else had this problem??
    Bearded Dragon (2001) Valcore
    Box Turtle (found 2006) Panzer
    Albino Cornsnake (2011) Dante
    White's Tree Frog (2012) Cake
    Tiger Legged Monkey Frog (2012) Unnamed
    Columbian Tegu (2012) Achilles
    Ball Python (2012) Poe

Basset Hounds Snickers (2000-2011 RIP), Leonidas (2009), Murphy (2010), Theodora (2011).

It's normal for the tail to take longer to come off. I'm thinking about two things that could be the reason why he doesn't want to take a bath. If he didn't bask yet and is still cold then the water might be to warm for him. Or if he just basked the water may be to cold. I have a Tegu who doesn't like to get into the water when it's already in the tub. So what I do is I put him into the tub first. Then I let the water run into the tub. I put my wrist under the water and make sure the water is luke warm. After the feet of my Tegu are covered I let some warm/hot water run in until his legs are all the way in the water ( just to his chest ). I do make sure the water is not to hot. This will help him get used to the temps easier then just putting him into the water. He is a bit picky. You maybe can put a towel in the tub so he dan get on it if he gets scared. Or you can put your hand under him to give him some support ( like I did in the video below ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz_wDAfBI7c
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl