Thread: Feeding chicken wings

Default Feeding chicken wings

Anyone got any opinions on this. I was stuck for food yesterday, as I haven't been able to get to the pet shop, and only sensible thing I could find was chicken wings. Has anyone any thoughts on possible benefits/problems with this. Obviously, it will not form the part of the staple diet, but as a supplementary diet, is it safe to feed.

The wings are raw, no additives or colourings or anything, and obviously have the bone in for the calcium side of things. Although I know the nutritional value is not as good as breast meat, is it detremental to health in any way ?

ta

Chicken bones make me weary as they seem splintery, however they do eat chicks and mice and have no problem with the bones "maybe not in all cases" - Personally I would most likely feed the meat and supplement the calcium, but that's just me...
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Albino"
    1.1.0 Ball Python 100% "Het Albino"
    1.2.0 Ball Python "Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Cinnamon Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Spider"
    0.2.0 Ball Python "Normal"

Pound for pound, chicken wings would be more nutritional than breast meat alone.

Whether the tegu could handle the whole bones or not is a good question. Yes, they do eat whole chicks and mice, but the bones in them are rather small. I'd be tempted to cut the wings up into pieces. We frequently use whole ground chicken (skeleton, eyes, and all) to feed our tegus and have not had a problem yet with bone shards. Often, when in a pinch (either because of time or grinder being serviced), we've given legs, heads and necks chopped up with a cleaver, and likewise haven't had bone problems.

Cool, thats what I was hoping to hear. I only gave him the smaller ones anyway to ensure he wasn't going to choke on them or anything.

I'm having real difficulties at the moment finding anywhere that supplies bone-in ground chiken/turkey. It's like rocking horse poo around these parts. Anyone Uk based know of anywhere, or had I best see if I can source a friendly butcher prepared to knock me a batch up ?

It may not be entirely feasible in your situation, but because we have literally thousands of animals, we got our own meat grinder and do it ourselves. It isn't some huge industrial thing though, I'm sure it's quite similar to a regular large meat grinder that people might purchase for making sausage and such.

I buy frozen drumsticks for pretty cheap and cook them. My wife was feeding him one day and instead of picking the meat off she just put the whole drumstick in there...he had it gone in seconds and was looking for more. A wing shouldn't be too much trouble.

Not cooked though. that's not good for them at all.

If your feeding them meat on the bone, leave it raw.

Quote Originally Posted by tupinambis
    Pound for pound, chicken wings would be more nutritional than breast meat alone.

Whether the tegu could handle the whole bones or not is a good question. Yes, they do eat whole chicks and mice, but the bones in them are rather small. I'd be tempted to cut the wings up into pieces. We frequently use whole ground chicken (skeleton, eyes, and all) to feed our tegus and have not had a problem yet with bone shards. Often, when in a pinch (either because of time or grinder being serviced), we've given legs, heads and necks chopped up with a cleaver, and likewise haven't had bone problems.
    Does this include feathers, or have they been plucked already?
    The Jay

Whole chickens were mostly plucked, chicks were aux natural.